Repower Self Performed Install

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
mkelly

Repower Self Performed Install

Postby mkelly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:06 pm

I'm repowering a 19 Outrage II [and] doing [the installation] myself. [I] will also be hiring a tech on a side job basis for the work I'm not able to complete, that is, the controls or I'm sure there's something I don't know about that needs to be done correctly.

In doing so, I'm thinking I might be better served to purchase the engine from a different source than my local Yamaha dealer. I see deals on the internet (BoatUSA or others) advertising the engine at far less initial cost than I believe through the local vendor.

The engine I'm looking for is the in-line four-cylinder F200 Yamaha that has been getting such good reviews. I'm in Seattle if that has any bearing on opinions.

I'm a General Contractor [and] have watched many a client try to take on a project themselves in order to save fees, only to fail miserably. So I'm keen to this possibly being a very bad idea, particularly in that I don't have a shop and would be relying heavily on the tech to receive the engine and do most of the install. The other concern playing into this is the 19 Outrage II is rated at 150-HP [and] local shops will not install the 200, so many factors involved in this one.

Phil T

Re: Repower Self Performed Install

Postby Phil T » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Michael--today's engine installation is much more plug and play than prior years.

Some dealers will grind on self-install means no warranty to get you to hire them. Double check with Yamaha Customer Service at (866) 894-1626 as to the requirements for activating warranty. Some brands (Evinrude) require a authorized dealer inspect the install and sign off to activate the warranty.

Try to get the rigging install instructions (what the dealer uses to install the engine). Some dealers will provide, some not.

Don't sweat the extra horses. Given the hull's weight, it makes sense.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003