1979 21' Outrage Fuel Tank

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
MacPac

1979 21' Outrage Fuel Tank

Postby MacPac » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:53 am

I am refurbishing a 1979 21' Outrage. I pulled the cover off that houses the integrated 40 gallon tank in order to have a look see and pull and test the tank. I feared I would damage the tank to remove it as it just didn't want to move for me. I left it in place and it pressure-tested fine, held 4 psi for 24 hours. Now I'm ready to put the lid back on it.

Should I use sealant of some sort at juncture of cover with deck?

quickenberger

Re: 1979 21' Outrage fuel tank question

Postby quickenberger » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Your 21 OUTRAGE [may be] like my 1995 SENTRY 19. I decided to pull the [fuel] tank because the foam surrounding the tank was wet with saltwater. I am glad I did because there was significant corrosion. [I hope] a boat that is 38-years-old has had the tank replaced at least once. While you're in there you might be better off replacing it. They are a bear to get out. I had to use a sawzall to cut the foam and a forklift to assist in lifting. If the foam surrounding the tank is wet then you can expect corrosion. I can tig weld so making a new tank was inexpensive. It cost me around $270 for all of the tank material cut and bent. I just had to weld it up.

[See images of the tank in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2070&p=12092#p12092 ]

[NOTA BENE: please do not keep uploading the same images to multiple threads. Once you have uploaded the images to a thread, you can use the same images again by pointing to the URL of the images as they are now hosted. CONTINUOUSWAVE is glad to host your images, but we do not like to host the same images over and over. Do not re-upload the same images to multiple threads. Below you can see how to point to the same images and re-use them; I append several IMG links--jimh]

For more information on how to re-use images already uploaded, please read the article about that topic in the INTRODUCTION forum at

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=509

jimh

Re: 1979 21' Outrage Fuel Tank

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:04 am

Yes, the joint between the deck and the cover for the fuel tank should be caulked. Use a sealant whose color matches the deck and hatch gel coat resin color. Don't use an adhesive. Many times a silicon bathroom caulk is used.

MacPac

Postby MacPac » Mon May 01, 2017 9:53 am

Thanks fellows. That what I figured but thought I'd double check before fastening her down.

That's some good looking work, quickenberger. It's always nice when one's skills and abilities align with the task at hand!

I'm sure saltwater has intruded into this one, but I'm not feeling the love to spend the money on a new tank at this point. It held 4-PSI for days. I realize that doesn't prove there is no corrosion but only that the corrosion hasn't eaten all the way through yet. I put a new fuel level sending unit in it and am replacing the aluminum braces that span the top of the opening and calling it good.
Last edited by MacPac on Sat May 06, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

quickenberger

Postby quickenberger » Tue May 02, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks for letting me know, Jim.
Feel free to remove the photos and link to the other post's URL.