1972 SPORT 13: Tiller or Mechanical Steering

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
okish

1972 SPORT 13: Tiller or Mechanical Steering

Postby okish » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:25 pm

I have a little dilemma in deciding whether to use mechanical steering or stick with a tiller. I currently have a [1972] SPORT 13 with the transom cut for 15-inch-shaft engines. I have Tohatsu 30-HP two-stroke-power-cycle outboard engine with short shaft. It can be configured with remote controls or a tiller handle as i have all the attachments for it. The boat currently is empty but I have all the parts.

For simplicity sake i was thinking of just using the motor with the tiller handle. But [I am] not so sure it would be comfortable on longer rides, and that's quite a bit of weight in the stern. Positives would be the simplicity of rigging and more room in the boat. I will be using this mostly as a pleasure boat, putting around in inland waters and deltas. Otherwise we will also fish from it for fun too. I have all the parts to do either, including a modern helm and steering cable.

Here are images of the boat and engine. The boat is currently empty and all holes patched. I restored the wood and [it is] ready to go.

padrefigure

Re: Tiller or mechanical steering on my 72 13' sport

Postby padrefigure » Mon May 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Tiller will work, but it is not quite "comfortable". The rear thwart is just a little too far forward so you really have to sit almost sideways to reach the tiller which means you are always looking over your right shoulder to navigate. But tiller would be low tech, low problem. If you go with the tiller, try a tiller extension to make it more comfortable. I ended up installing a small steering console and cable steering system. It works very well.

okish

Postby okish » Mon May 01, 2017 2:07 pm

That's what I figured. Just mocking it up and putting the rear thwart all the way back still isn't comfy. I want to avoid a extension handle on the tiller because the 30hp tohatsu is a snappy little motor, I don't want any chance for it to get away from me at speed. I have most of the parts to do cable steering, the only thing I don't like is that I would have to use a stand off due to the transom cutout. The stand off seems like a crummy solution to me.

padrefigure

Postby padrefigure » Mon May 01, 2017 6:22 pm

The standoff is definitely a kluge. It binds when tilting the motor. But remember this boat was designed when the cable and pulley system was the norm. That worked pretty well (until it didn't). Trust me, connecting a drag link through your tilt tube (as would be appropriate if you had a 20" transom) will NOT work. I considered a lightweight set back bracket and the tilt tube option, but decided to go with off the shelf parts. I will tell you that driving the little Boston Whaler boat is fun. I have a 1983 Johnson 35-HP that will push the boat at about 27-MPH and being that close to the water is really cool. Have fun with whatever you decide to do.

jimh

Re: 1972 SPORT 13: Tiller or Mechanical Steering

Postby jimh » Mon May 01, 2017 9:35 pm

My experience with a classic 13 SPORT is limited to a boat with remote steering and controls. That set-up makes for a great little boat. I think the remote controls and steering would be much preferable to a tiller-steering outboard.

Tom Hemphill

Postby Tom Hemphill » Tue May 02, 2017 5:42 pm

This site's reference page on the 13 foot hull describes the maximum horsepower as being "20-HP on early tiller steering models." It's not clear to me if this limitation would apply to okish's boat and his proposed 30-HP motor.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Thu May 04, 2017 9:04 pm

I've had small skiffs my whole life and usually they were tillers. But once I built a small side steering console and used remote controls I would not go back to tillers. A dedicated helm seat makes it a whole different boat.