170 Montauk Console Rod Holders

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
steven4est

170 Montauk Console Rod Holders

Postby steven4est » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:29 pm

[Two] of Plastic rod holders broke on my 2004 170 Montauk. I am looking for an affordable replacement.

I am calling Boston Whaler [on May 1, 2017]. I assume they will want more for [replacement OEM rod holders than] I would like to pay.

Below are images of what [the OEM rod holders look like]. At first glance I figured these would be an easy find. After visits to Bass Pro, West Marine, and WalMart, all I could find were the ones that are identical, but had some sort of plastic bracket molded to the back which prevents them from fitting my 170 Montauk.

At this point, my most affordable option may be to [use a hand grinding tool like a DREMEL TOOL to remove] the brackets and be done with it.

I wanted to [take a survey to find] if anyone found a replacement elsewhere besides Boston Whaler.

Thanks

888.jpg
888.jpg (50.29 KiB) Viewed 8452 times

Ridge Runner

Re: 170 Montauk Console Rod Holders

Postby Ridge Runner » Mon May 01, 2017 6:43 am

Those [plastic rod holders on a 170 MONTAUK] break all the time. I would replace them with some custom made ones from furniture-grade schedule-40 PVC Pipe.

Furniture grade PVC is very smooth, glossy and will last forever. It comes in different sizes and colors and you can just cut a slight groove in the top to hold the reel in-place and then "polish" the top lip with very fine sand-paper:

https://www.amazon.com/FORMUFIT-P002FGP ... 0+pvc+pipe
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

floris van den berg

Postby floris van den berg » Mon May 01, 2017 10:09 am

I had CABELA brand plastic rod holders in black, three on a bracket. They can also be installed individualy, because they are not molded on the frame--a least the one I had. [Ask CABELA'S] on their live chat, [CABELA'S] are very helpful.
As you can see you can also buy [individually].

I had [CABELA'S brand rod holders] on my boat for five years of intensive use, sold the boat and they were still in like new shape; don't think you will break these.

Cmilo

Postby Cmilo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:55 am

[Two years and three months later:] I am curious if [fhe initiator of this thread] ever found a source for replacement sleeves. I too have searched the ends of the internet for bracket free rod tubes. Thanks.

[The initiator of this thread has not been active since May 1, 2017, the day he called Boston Whaler to get their price. I can only presume that when he found out the replacement cost he must have had a heart attack. He has never returned to the forum. —jimh]

steven4est

Postby steven4est » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:44 am

[Two years and nine months later:]
The replacement cost [for the Boston Whaler OEM rod holders] was [about] $60 per plastic holder exclusive of shipping.

I bought rod holders at WalMart for $2, and I used a [Dremel Tool] to alter them. Honestly, they look like a direct replacement.