2001 Johnson Outboard Model Designation

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
mb159

2001 Johnson Outboard Model Designation

Postby mb159 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:24 am

Gentlemen--I have just purchased a 1986 Montauk 17 that has a 2001 Johnson J90VLSIG two-stroke 90-HP outboard. I have looked at every site that I know to try to find the model designation code for this engine. I know what the nomenclature is except for the "V" after 90, and the "G" as the last character. Can anyone help with those two? Is the "V" possibly a designation code for V4?

Much appreciated

Mike

cinegamma

Re: 2001 Johnson Outboard Model Designation

Postby cinegamma » Tue May 02, 2017 11:33 pm

According to the chart at shop.evinrude.com

J = Johnson
90 = horsepower
V = special gear case
L = 20" shaft
S = 0 (first digit model year)
I = 1 (second digit model year)
G = last character denotes internal model run

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed May 03, 2017 12:20 pm

According to my article at

BRP Outboard Engine Model Number Decoding
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/007049.html

the designation of "V" means white paint.

mb159

Postby mb159 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Thanks, Jim!

The outboard in question is indeed white. What can be determined by the "production code" suffix that couldn't / wouldn't be differentiated via serial number?

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 09, 2017 9:21 am

The production code is usually interpreted as being an identifier of a particular production run of that model on the production line. Within the range of one model year, the factory might have had several runs of production of a particular model. They seem to give them alphabetical identifiers. So you might have two engines, same model, same model year, and one was built in the "A" production run and a second was built in the "Z" production run. There could be some minor variation in those two engines. For example, maybe in the "Z" production a different part was used for some element of the engine, let's say a different trim motor or something like that.

For example, my engine is a model E225DPXISE. I can see on a listing of models that there is also an E225DPXISF. The "F" model was probably a later production run. I know my engine was actually made in July of 2009 as a 2010 model. I am sure that sometime later the factory had another run of model-year-2010 225-HP engines, and they designated that the "F" production.

In order to deduce any differences, I would have to make a very careful study of the complete part number breakdown for the two engines, looking for any change in part numbers. If your engine is listed at the website (see below), you can undertake that sort of inquiry if you really have the curiosity and time.

Browse around at http://shop2.evinrude.com

The production code differentiator allows easy identification of production epoch. There is no possible interpretation of a serial number range, at least not any public database of that information that I know about. I am sure the factory might have that sort of data, but I don't know how you would access it. In my experience, BRP has been astonishing good at providing data on their websites about their engines, but I don't know of any sort of serial number lookup process. About the only inference that I would assume is possible with serial numbers is that an engine with a higher serial number was made later than one with a lower serial number.