Mashed fuel fill hoses under tank cover - 1984 Outrage 25

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
russellbailey

Mashed fuel fill hoses under tank cover - 1984 Outrage 25

Postby russellbailey » Mon May 08, 2017 1:47 pm

I replaced the old fuel fill hoses that run to the twin 70 gallon tanks on my 1984 Outrage 25. When I laid the floor back down, it squeezes the hose appreciably. My floor is flat, and is original, and my tank is also original and never removed, so I don't think either of those are the reason for the present interference.

I noticed that the wall thickness on the new hoses (A2 Trident corrugated hose) may be a good bit thicker than on the old hose - the wall thickness is roughly 0.25".

I did not look closely at the old hose when I removed it other than for length, so it is possible that the old hose also was squeezed by the deck but I just did not notice it since it had been squeezed so long.

The floor still fits, but it does have hump in the middle. I put pipe wrap (like 20 mil electrical tape) on top of the hose to prevent the rough fiberglass from abrading the outer covering, so I think it is fine as is. I am going to play around with some rubber spacers under the tank cover edges to see if I can get it up a little bit - maybe 1/8".

I am curious if anyone else has had a similar experience, as I don't recall reading about that here before.

As an aside, I am finally replacing the front tank vent hose, which requires removal of the front floor to do so - it was quite stiff. The floor on this vintage Outrage 25 is in three pieces - big middle floor, small rear floor, and fairly big front floor to which the console attaches.

Wweez

Re: Mashed fuel fill hoses under tank cover - 1984 Outrage 25

Postby Wweez » Mon May 08, 2017 7:11 pm

What comes to mind is the variation in approved fuel lines.
You might find a good fuel line with thinner wall construction.
As to your boat, I do not know whether they are all squished or not. Then there is the rasp!

Good lick !

jimh

Re: Mashed fuel fill hoses under tank cover - 1984 Outrage 25

Postby jimh » Tue May 09, 2017 9:14 am

My boat is about six years younger than yours, but I suspect that replacement of the fuel filler hose may be something needed in the future. Thanks for the information on the tight fit of the over-sized hose. I'll keep that in mind when the time comes for replacement of that hose on my boat.