Using Teak or Faux Teak to Re-Cover Deck

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
GuardianRC

Using Teak or Faux Teak to Re-Cover Deck

Postby GuardianRC » Wed May 17, 2017 4:04 pm

I have a 1990 Guardian which had a very rough life before i acquired it last year. The deck has had new hatches cut in and many screw holes dotted around, along with patches of wear and tear. Due to the patterned nature of the deck i would struggle to repair it without it looking awful. This has lead me to look at synthetic coverings to tidy up the interior. I've found a range of faux teak products ranging from low cost 6=mm EVA from China to local (United Kingdom) more expensive 3-mm Atlanteak from Treadmaster offerings.

Has anyone [used synthetic coverings to tidy up the interior]?

Has anyone seen [synthetic coverings to tidy up the interior] done to a classic hull as an option to cover up sins below?

My thought is to either template each section of raised textured part of the deck to cover, or cover the entire deck along with height variations.

Thanks
Rich

Jefecinco

Re: Using Teak or Faux Teak to Re-Cover Deck

Postby Jefecinco » Thu May 18, 2017 8:41 am

Before covering the deck with anything I would ensure continued access to the new hatches and their attaching screws. I doubt anyone added hatches for no purpose. A further consideration is the ability to remove the new covering when it inevitably becomes unsightly and replacement is indicated.

It is probably more cost effective to use a non-skid deck paint and carefully mask off the hatch cutouts and screws. If the paint solution is attractive you could query a boat yard for a recommended paint.
Butch

GuardianRC

Re: Guardian 18 - deck damage covering with faux teak

Postby GuardianRC » Thu May 18, 2017 9:12 am

The boat was used as some form of floating pontoon and wasn't in a great state. The extra hatches are now unnecessary so i will cover those and template the originals.

I found this image of a 13' classic with the permateak variation which looks great - just wondering if there's any [Boston Whaler OUTRAGE boats] out there who haven't yet been posted?

[The original link given led to hundreds of images. I believe the particular image that was being referenced was this one:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c9/fe/b4/c9feb4b6168736fff1bf47ed6f53c109.jpg

--jimh]

Mattwarner

Postby Mattwarner » Fri May 19, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi Rich. I believe you commented on that photo in my Pinterest! I am also in the U.K. And have experience with the eva foam [you are] referring to and have posted pics on Everything Boston Whaler. There is a firm selling it from the Channel Islands which-- if you do decide to go with it--will save time on postage and got away without import tax.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri May 19, 2017 9:06 pm

Dave (AKA Buckda) used some wood deck material to cover the central deck section of his OUTRAGE 18 boat GAMBLER. See below.

Another winter project was installing a replacement deck. Instead of a molded deck with non-skid, Dave fabricated a beautiful teak deck. WEST System epoxy was used to laminate the teak decking to marine plywood. The original 52 holes in the hull were filled with sealant, and new mounting holes were drilled to fasten the new deck to the hull.

Originally appeared in http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetacea/cetaceaPage81.html

I have seen GAMBLER in person many times and found the deck to be very attractive. As I recall, a similar repair has been done by others several times on other boats. Also, read this thread

Information on teak deck project - 18' Outrage
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011452.html

GuardianRC

Postby GuardianRC » Sat May 20, 2017 4:14 am

Mattwarner wrote:I believe you commented on that photo in my Pinterest...
Ah, yes that was probably me.

Did you end up doing your hull with the chinese stuff?

How is the deck on your friend's boat holding up?

Thanks for the pictures, i'm intending on giving it a go as there isn't much i can do with my deck to improve it currently.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat May 20, 2017 11:52 am

If there are photographs on-line that can be viewed publicly, it would be helpful to provide a URL for them so that they can be seen by all readers of this discussion.

GuardianRC

Postby GuardianRC » Sat May 20, 2017 4:41 pm

[The in-line image below] is a classic 13-footer.

[Note: You can see a larger version of this image at

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 53c109.jpg

which I mentioned earlier in the thread.

--jimh]

hargravesg

Postby hargravesg » Sun May 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Mattwarner wrote:I am also in the U.K. And have experience with the eva foam [you are] referring to and have posted pics on Everything Boston Whaler. There is a firm selling it from the Channel Islands which-- if you do decide to go with it--will save time on postage and got away without import tax.

Any idea of the weight of this deck material?

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 22, 2017 3:20 pm

hargravesg wrote:
Mattwarner wrote:I am also in the U.K. And have experience with the eva foam [you are] referring to and have posted pics on Everything Boston Whaler. There is a firm selling it from the Channel Islands which-- if you do decide to go with it--will save time on postage and got away without import tax.

Any idea of the weight of this deck material?

The only material mentioned in the passage you quoted is "eva foam". Is that the material you are asking about?

I believe that EVA is an acronym for Ethylene Vinyl Acetate, and the material known as EVA FOAM is available as a foam in sheets from MONMOUTH RUBBER, the makers of it since the 1960's. See

http://monmouthrubber.com/eva-foam-and-eva-foam-sheets/?

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 22, 2017 3:28 pm

GuardianRC wrote:[The in-line image below] is a classic 13-footer.

What is the trade name of the material used as a faux wood decking material in the above image?