Restoration of Wood Finished with CETOL

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
1969 Sport

Restoration of Wood Finished with CETOL

Postby 1969 Sport » Sun May 21, 2017 11:08 am

I spent a year getting back a 1969 Sport from the original buyer. (Hence the username.) The boat sat in his shed for 26 years and showed it. After a ton of polishing it came back really quite well but here's the problem.

I had a friend of mine--I believe he's a custom home builder--look at the wood in the boat. He said, "Wow I can take care of that. I have all the woodorking equipment and HPV guns to spray the varnish and make it look new." Last November [2016] I took all the wood to him.

I hadn't heard much over the winter. And he did say,"[I] hope you are not in a hurry." And that was cool. All of a sudden I start getting a couple images of the wood with a coat on. [The wood] looks okay from a smartphone. Then--all of a sudden--he wants to deliver the wood. He shows up Thursday [i.e, four days prior to this thread being started] and I thought I was going to gag.

He used CETOL on one-inch thick red mahogany from 1969. The handles for the bow storage seemed to be finished with a no-slip sand, there were runs everywhere, he took the console apart, and same kind of finish but filled the holes with brass wood screws with heads showing, GRRR!

I started sanding everything today, I think I know the answers but I'm asking the Whaler gods:

What is the right way [to restore the wood finish]? I'm not going through this again! Please help. And thank you in advance.

Mark

P.S. Hi everyone. I'm new, first post. My mom and dad were Boston Whaler dealers in the 1960's and early 1970's; they sold out in 1975 and I've had the business since.

jimh

Re: Restoration of Wood Finished with CETOL

Postby jimh » Sun May 21, 2017 11:39 am

See

Wood Care and the Boston Whaler Boat
By Brian N. Blazer

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/whalerWood.html

I agree with your assessment of the beauty of wood finished with CETOL. I find it adds a rather orange color to the wood.

Using varnish as a top coat finish on wood is a labor intensive project. If the varnish layer is built up to many coats, it can become somewhat durable. The important aspect of a varnish finish is to prevent any water from getting into the wood under the varnish. If there is water in the wood under a varnish finish, the moisture will tend to lift off the varnish from the wood. This will require a complete removal of the varnish, re-sanding, and re-application.

1969 Sport

Re: Restoration of Wood Finished with CETOL

Postby 1969 Sport » Tue May 23, 2017 2:03 pm

Thank you!!!