2007 190 Montauk Aft Deck Drain

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Whalerdog

2007 190 Montauk Aft Deck Drain

Postby Whalerdog » Mon May 22, 2017 4:26 pm

I have a 2007 190 Montauk and the aft deck never drains properly. I see the newer models have changed the drains to the back of the deck not the sides by the rear seat. I was thinking of putting in two or four Perko 1/2-inch drains in the rear below access doors. They are nylon and was going to cut their bottom flange flat to sit low to deck. They are like this [Bad URL deleted]. Any advice or tips to get water to drain better? Thanks.

Jefecinco

Re: 2007 190 Montauk Aft Deck Drain

Postby Jefecinco » Tue May 23, 2017 8:34 am

I believe you're on the right track. I have the identical problem. I would run hose from the new drain fittings to fittings that go through the transom. In a very heavy rainstorm you don't want extra gallons of water going into the bilge.

My quick and dirty solution was to construct a ramp from 2X6 lumber on which I park the port side trailer wheel. This allows the Montauk to sit level from side to side and the drains then work well .
Butch

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Tue May 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Good thought on it draining into bilge . I was going to put hose to bilge. Boat is in backyard but I have to give it some thought. No big deal to run out transom. Many thanks. Cut them flat with hack saw sanded them on the bottom edge so the sit low at floor level and down on caulking. Put wood dowel in drain to keep them tight with weight till silicone sets. Will put nuts on tomorrow. Thanks.

Just gave it a fast look and it may be a pain to get them low enough being the compartment is finished back there. Will study it further could not stay out there long week of the gnats!

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Tue May 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Whalerdog, I have the same problem on my 2008, if your solution works out some photos would go a long way, Thks.

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Fri May 26, 2017 7:38 am

Ok will do.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat May 27, 2017 10:04 am

Fred,

I think you could pretty much simply duplicate the existing deck drains but place them as far inboard as practicable. There may be some fit problems on the port side due to the swim platform. However, there is no reason I can think of except, possibly esthetics, you couldn't place the port side thru hull a little lower than the starboard side thru hull. I'm fairly certain the engine tilt/trim assembly will not present any access problem. A nice feature of using hoses is the flexibility.

You would also be approximately doubling the Montauks capacity to drain deck flooding. That could be a very useful feature for an offshore angler.
Butch

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:46 pm

Drains worked great. Washed boat in water came back ten minutes zero water retained just separate drops on deck surface. Just going to drain to bilge for now not out of transom. Ten years finally got rid of the problem for 20 dollars an one hours work. Pictures could be emailed if anyone wants.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:04 am

Congratulations on the dry deck. Until you drain overboard expect much more mildew in the below deck spaces. Raising the bow with the trailer jack will help drain the below deck spaces. Higher is better and side to side leveling will help even more.
Butch

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:56 pm

Always mildew and always water in bilge. My boats in the water all the time in back of the house. I'll pull the access covers and doors under seat. Drains are only 1/2" so it only adds a little in drainage. May restrict them even more as I only need the bottom of hole to drain. If it takes 1 minute it ten it won't matter long as it drains last bit out.

If I put drains out the transom I don't think they are long enough for transom thickness. Doubt I want more holes in rear anyway. If I go away I can plug holes with backer rod so it does go to bilge. I use it a few times a week minimum so battery stays charged.