1984 Montauk 17 Resurface Deck by Applying Truck Bed-liner; Loose Console

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
wcurling

1984 Montauk 17 Resurface Deck by Applying Truck Bed-liner; Loose Console

Postby wcurling » Wed May 31, 2017 5:36 pm

Hello everyone. Having become a recent member of Continuouswave I would like to say how much I enjoy this site/forum. It certainly is a place where one can learn a lot and see some very excellent work done on these Boston Whaler boats.

I have a 1984 Montauk 17' with a Mercury 90hp 2 stroke which by virtue of its age has multiple minor cracks, spider and stress cracks on the deck but no soft spots. There does not appear to be any other damage to the hull in or out that would allow water intrusion. Over the past weeks I have been removing some water from in the hull by simply lifting the bow and allowing gravity to take over. There has not been a great quantity of water to speak of, maybe less than a couple of gallons. I have and will continue to use the boat for fishing and messin’ around on the James and Chesapeake Bay.

That being said, I would very much appreciate you fellow’s opinion regarding applying truck bed-liner to the deck/floor and up the freeboard for about a 1-1/2-inch. My thoughts are first, safety, read non slip. I would prefer to not fall and “break something I can’t buy a new one for”. Secondly, I was thinking this may help in sealing up the cracks and prevent additional water from seeping into the hull. Third I would assume this may strengthen the deck(?) Since I am not a purist nor do I plan a full restoration to the boat’s original state and I do not have any immediate intention to sell, I would be able to address these two problems with the bed-liner.
Let me say thanks in advance for your comments.

Phil T

Re: 1984 Montauk 17 Resurface Deck by Applying Truck Bed-liner

Postby Phil T » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:03 am

removing some water from in the hull by simply lifting the bow and allowing gravity to take over

What does that even mean?

The hull and spashwell have drains. When you run the boat, is the drain in the bilge plugged?

For us to give you an informed opinion, photos of the boat are recommended. Take a dozen, from different views, show some of the cracks as well as the general condition and post them.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Mr T

Postby Mr T » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:16 pm

I understand you are "not a purist", but it seems a sad thing to consider using a thick liner to cover cracks.

Will it work? Sure-
Will it be quick? Sure-

Is that what you want to do?

wcurling

Postby wcurling » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:43 am

Thanks for your response. And I guess that is what I was looking for, Is there a negative to applying this bed liner material? Your comment and the question leads me to believe that it could take away from its essence and lower the value of my Montauk which is something I certainly would not want to do. When I drilled a hole in the outer part of the hull at the transom I got water dripping out from were the form is as I said originally. I am aware there are drain holes and a bilge drain hole which is always plugged when we use the boat so I thought the few little cracks and spider cracks could be the reason that water got into the foamed area and the Montauk sat outside uncovered for about 7 years by the previous owner. That is why I thought the water dripping for the hole drilled in the lower part of the hull was due to the the cracks on the deck. Sounds like I would be better off to grind out the cracks and spider cracks then fill with a color matched gelcoat and sand he repaired area to smooth.
This is my first time participating in a forum and I certainly did not mean to be offensive with the "not a purist"; a bad choice of words. Simply meant that I think it is beyond my means both financially and my skills to bring the Montauk back to her factory condition. Thanks again.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:41 am

Bed liner is far from anti-skid, particularly when wet. It is expensive to apply and very difficult to remove. It adds a good deal of weight and is uncomfortable on bare feet and knees. In the case of a classic Montauk the boat would be ruined for any use other than your own in the future. Who would buy it as anything other than a work skiff?
Butch

wcurling

Re: Loose Console

Postby wcurling » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:10 am

Excellent point Butch, a skiff it is not. I think I am at the point to abandon completely the bed liner idea. Better I think to grind, repair and gelcoat.

NEW TOPIC: The console seems to move ever so slightly. Could be the wood mounting braces are loose I think I will remove the console today and go back and do a thorough inspection of the deck and fittings.