Trailer Tire Replacement LoadStar 225/75R15D

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Jefecinco

Trailer Tire Replacement LoadStar 225/75R15D

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:03 am

Due to frequent reminders from the Admiral that we are overdue in replacing the tires on the Karavan trailer under our 190 Montauk I have started the process.

The tires are about seven and a half years old and although barely worn should have been replaced as early as two years ago but I'm comfortable with a seven year interval.

I had decided to replace the stock ST [Special Trailer] tires with LT [Light Truck] tires due to the general poor quality of ST tires compared with LTs. The problem was that I was unable to find an appropriate form fit LT substitute. However, I did find that the new to the market Goodyear Endurance ST is made in the USA and has a form fit replacement available.

We try to do our due diligence when buying so I did a thorough internet search for the best possible all inclusive price for the Endurance tires. I tried all the better and some lesser known sites. I was very surprised to learn that Goodyear now sells tires direct to consumers from their web site. The only catch is that the tires must be installed by a Goodyear authorized installer which is almost always a Goodyear store. If road hazard insurance is desired that also is available from the installer. I was also pleased that the price from Goodyear was better than from anyone else I found. Selecting the installer and making an appointment for the work is done on the site during the check out process. The cost to me was $271 which includes balancing and new valves. If you know of a better price let us know.
Butch

jimh

Re: Trailer Tire Replacement LoadStar 225/75R15D

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:17 am

JEFE--many thanks for the information about the Goodyear Endurance ST trailer tire. I had not heard of that tire before. Also the ability to buy the tire directly from Goodyear sounds very interesting. Good information like yours is much appreciated.

I found this description of the Goodyear Endurance ST tire on a reseller's website:

The Endurance is Goodyear's special purpose trailer tire developed specifically for use on travel trailers, pop-up campers, boat trailers, toy haulers and fifth wheels. Endurance trailer tires are designed with durability in mind to help make towing a trailer less stressful by reducing impact-related failures experienced during use.

Special purpose trailer tires are not intended to be used on cars or light trucks.

Endurance trailer tires feature a rounded profile to help cushion the trailer's ride, and the symmetric tread design with closely spaced ribs provide constant rubber-to-road contact for straight tracking, dependable highway stability and long-lasting wear. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts with a two-ply nylon reinforcement to stabilize the tread, increasing traction and durability. The Endurance features a polyester cord body to help smooth out the trailer's ride, and a scuff guard is molded into the sidewall to further increase durability by resisting damage from contact with curbs during parking lot maneuvers.

I visited the Goodyear buy-on-line store, and searched for a trailer tire of ST20575R14. I found the price would be $108 per tire, with an additional cost of $14 for installation per tire, or $122 per installed tire, or $244 for two tires with installation. However, when I clicked the BUY NOW button, the price was calculated with a further discount of $21.60 and the total came to ony $222.40. Later in the check-out process, taxes and disposal fees were added, bringing the final cost to purchase and install to $238.90. (I did not actually order the tires, as I don't need them at this moment.)

As a comparison, I then visited the DISCOUNT TIRE on-line ordering website, and researched the cost for the same tire from that reseller. Their final price was $274.87, or about $36 more than directly from Goodyear.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:02 am

I have had very good experience with Load Star tires on three different trailers. A good online source of tires and tire-rim combinations is http://www.easternmarine.com
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

porthole

Postby porthole » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Another good source for trailer tires and or wheels is

Trailer tire and wheels Edon, Ohio

I have purchased from this company for camper, boat and motorcycle trialers
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Phil,

In fairness, I've never had a problem with the LoadStars on our trailer. When we bought the boat/trailer I was disappointed to see Chinese tires were installed. However, they were new so I decided to give them a try. If I'd been unable to buy a Made in USA tire for our trailer I would likely have replaced the LoadStars with LoadStars.
Butch

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:28 am

Update.

Yesterday morning the new tires were installed. The Goodyear store did not have a lug centric adapter for the balancer so they used a conical centering device. I expect the tires will be fine.

This was the most painless and efficient tire purchase I've had in 64 years of vehicle ownership. Everything was done on-line without human interface. I arrived at the Goodyear store five minutes before the appointed time, I walked in and told the counter man (manager) I was there for my 11:00 AM appointment. He replied, "trailer tires?" I nodded and he asked me to back my pickup to the bay so they could unload the old tires/wheels which I did. At 11:15 he told me I was ready to go that the news tires were loaded in my truck. I had to sign a zero charge work order and an acceptance document for the tires.

The $11 plus for mounting and balancing each tire include lifetime balancing which was unexpected. I also learned the tires are load range "E" instead of the "D" I expected.

The maximum inflation pressure of the tires is 80 PSI which I'm sure is much higher than needed for a 190 Montauk fully loaded. I had the tires inflated to 70 PSI but I'm going to get an inflation table and adjust accordingly.
Butch