1997 Outrage 17 II Floor Replacement

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
lewain

1997 Outrage 17 II Floor Replacement

Postby lewain » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:23 pm

I have removed and replaced the fuel tank and the floor in my Outrage.
I have an area about 6" sq. that has some give. I am sure that it is because i did not get a good bond between the deck skin and the new floor underneath.
I am thinking about drilling some 1/4" holes and injecting some epoxy and then sealing with Marine-Tex.
What do you guys think?

Pinion

Re: 1997 Outrage 17 II Floor Replacement

Postby Pinion » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi, are you sure its only that 6" section? Is it soft from the top, or from the bottom (inside) when you took the deck off to replace the tank?
Which part of the floor/deck is it located? How recently did you replace the floor?

You will need to address the root cause of the soft spot, not just the spot itself, or it will come back. You may just be looking at an epoxy injection, and I hope that's all. If you use epoxy or Marine Tex, just be sure it has an adhesive in it. Straight epoxy likely wont be enough.

Rob

lewain

Postby lewain » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:31 am

I just removed and replaced the entire floor. I am sure that in this spot it is because I did not get good adhesive between the floor skin and my new deck.
My plan is to inject epoxy probably with a filler and seal holes with marine tex.

Pinion

Postby Pinion » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:44 pm

That's a bummer. I'm in the middle of doing both of my decks, and what you're describing has been going through my head every time I work on it. I think your approach is going to work. Are you planning on going after it from the bottom, or going in through the nonskid? Did you use 404 as your additive, or something else.

lewain

Postby lewain » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:21 pm

I am planing on doing it from the top. It is on the starboard side and just a little back from my access plate. I feel that after I get it filled and sealed with marine-Tex you will not even notice it. Of course I will see it every time I get in the boat.
I used #406 Colloidal Silica Filler.