Mills vs Carver Bimini

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
jamesv

Mills vs Carver Bimini

Postby jamesv » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:24 am

New Whaler owner here. I have a classic Montauk and I'd like to add a bimini. I like the idea of the Mills canvas for the quality and for the sake of keeping the boat as original as possible, but I'm not sure it would be the best fit for me. I plan to use it with my kids and would like as much shade and rain cover as possible. For that reason, I would go with the Suntop over the Flytop. The Carver bimini is nice because it can be mounted on rails and can be slid forward or aft depending on where you want the shade. It also looks like it provides more shade and stows outboard of the bow rail, which seems like a better use of space. Any thoughts on practical use of these two biminis?

For maximum shade I might try something like this:

https://www.ttopcovers.com/images/Gallery/bsk/192%20grady%20white%20bimini%20top%20&%20side.jpg

Thank you,
James

jimh

Re: Mills vs Carver Bimini

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:31 pm

If you only plan to use Sun Top style canvas and no other components of the Weather Canvas system for the classic MONTAUK, then I do not see that there is any particular harm in not buying the Wm. J. Mills & Co. FLYING TOP for the classic Boston Whaler boat. You just won't have the option of further integration of other components, and you may not get the same robust design.

The real advantage of the Mills system is the integration of several other canvas components with the Flying Top, such as

--side curtains
--aft drop curtain, and
--forward shelter.

Also the frame design used by Mills is rather crafty and allows the frame for the Flying Top to minimize interference in the stern cockpit gunwales with any hold-down lines for the canvas. That feature is nice for fishing from the cockpit. And the frame is very sturdy. If you buy other canvas it may come with aluminum frames with plastic components. The Mills frame is stainless steel and all components are metal castings or machined fittings.

In general the Flying Top designs provides a rather minimal amount of shade, but it provides shade where you need it the most--at the helm. And the Flying Top can be deployed and remain in place in very high winds, as you might encounter in storm conditions. You won't have to worry about a Mills Flying Top getting loose and flogging in high winds.

I am not familiar with the CARVER brand of boat canvas, so I cannot offer any advice or make a comparison. I assume that canvas sells for less than the Mills canvas, and that can be an incentive.

jamesv

Postby jamesv » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:11 pm

Thank you for the reply. As you pointed out, the Carver bimini uses aluminum poles. They have an upgrade to SS, but now I realize it's probably just for the fasteners, not the tubing. Mills it is then!

I looked at their weather canvas system for the Montauk and really want to like it, but I find their decision to put the forward shelter inside of the gunwales and well aft of the bow to be pretty disappointing. It makes the shelter much smaller than it could be and by putting it below the gunwales and flush with the fore deck, I can't imagine it would be very useful in any kind of weather. Wouldn't the rain and spray that hits the shelter just drip down onto the deck rather than over the sides of the boat? Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems strange, and I'm pretty sure they do have it going down to the gunwales and up to the bow for other models. I'd love to hear from anybody that has the fwd shelter on a Montauk.

So I'm leaning towards the Flying Top and maybe just stretching some fabric off of that to provide extra shade when we need it. Sound reasonable?

The last concern is the Mills bimini stowing inside of the bow rails. Any thoughts on whether it's better to have it inboard or outboard of the rails?

Thanks again,
James

CarverCovers

Postby CarverCovers » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Most of the Carver round tube bimini top sizes are also available in full stainless steel frames and fittings.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:37 pm

That [a Carver top can be ordered with the frame and fittings made of stainless steel] is well known to those who read the information on Carver's very useful and informative web site.
Butch

macfam

Postby macfam » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:19 am

The Wm. J. Mills & Co. suntop on our 150 Montauk (that we ordered aftermarket) is on sliding rails, so that it will slide up snugly to the front railings. When used, it simply slides aft and covers the front console cooler seat, helm, and helm seat. All stainless. Superb installation instructions.

The Wm. J. Mills & Co. sun top can be stored up front as mentioned, or stored upright with boot, or fully opened. Outstanding quality.