Drain Tube Replacement on 13-footer

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
f1loco

Drain Tube Replacement on 13-footer

Postby f1loco » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:12 am

Will 3-inch tubes be correct for a 13-footer?

Does the O-ring only go on the straight side to be flared by the tool?

Would 3M4200 be better even though [the drain is] under the water?

jimh

Re: Drain Tube Replacement on 13-footer

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:29 am

See the FAQ and the articles it links to for advice on drain tube replacement:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q12

The diameter and length of brass tubing needed varies with the model and location of the drain.

O-rings are used on both ends of the drain.

Use of strong adhesive-sealants to create additional sealing is only recommended to improve the seal of the drain to the hull at the exits; never use a strong adhesive-sealant to bed the entire drain tube in place unless you anticipate never having to remove it; removal of through-hull fittings like these brass tube will be extremely difficult if they are bedded with adhesive-sealant over their entire length.

f1loco

Postby f1loco » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Thanks. I think I'll put a smooth coat of 5200 around the inside and let it set first. Then put the tubes in with some additional sealant on the ends then. That should keep it nice and dry, even if there is failure.

Don't suppose if you know 3" will be long enough to accommodate the o-rings and still have enough to fold over the same or if I should purchase longer runs and cut 1/4" longer that the transom?

I saw on one of the supplier sites, they only had the o-ring on the none pre-flared side - presumably the 90 degree flat side seats flat with the transom, with the help of some 5200/sealant.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:53 pm

If you want to make a seal for the exposed foam in a hole for a drain tube, I would use epoxy resin in preference to a messy, slow-curing sealant-adhesive like 3M4200. It may take a week for 4200 to cure. Epoxy will cure in less than a day.

f1loco

Postby f1loco » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:54 pm

Roger that - I'll pick up some fresh Marine-tex - should be plenty to cover the two inners and will set within the day easily.

f1loco

Postby f1loco » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:31 pm

One last set of questions:

I have the [bow] locker anchor in the bulk head up front. There are two holes apparently drilled through where the edges of the top--left and right--go through to drain, [and I am] assuming [these holes are] straight holes that I can simply epoxy and seal while .

However, there is one hole in the bottom of the box, and one hole in the bottom of the bulkhead that drains to the floor.

Q: Is there supposed to be some kind of tubing between the two points?

I stuck my finger inside the bottom hole by the deck and there are a few drops of water--[perhaps because I] I live in Florida and it had just rained.

Q: Does this simply sit on the foam and potentially saturates it, if it doesn't all run out?

I cannot find a diagram on line of the pathway, and [the pathway] doesn't appear to have any real access to the area.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:20 pm

I recommend getting a WEST System epoxy repair kit. They are about $25, and have about six sealed foil packages of epoxy resin and hardener. They also come with appropriate filler materials. MarineTex is just some resin already mixed with fillers, and no good way to measure the ratio of resin to hardener.

You need to understand that making epoxy is chemistry. The ingredients have to mixed in the right ratio--proper stoichiometry. Too much of one ingredient means that the excess amount of ingredient won't be involved in the chemical reaction, and it will remain unchanged. That weakens the resulting epoxy. Look at it this way: custom boat builders build million-dollar yachts with West System epoxy; MarineTex is at Walmart sold to people who don't really understand epoxy or how to use it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:23 pm

I would expect the forward anchor locker would have a through-hull drain. I really don't have an old 13-footer handy to go look at one.

Sailfish_wc

Postby Sailfish_wc » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:59 pm

[Reviving this thread after the thread has been dormant for about four-years we have new questions]

I’d like to know myself

If one wanted to keep the drain holes:

Q1: did it have a brass tube like the transom drain?
Q2: Other?

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:10 pm

Sailfish_wc wrote:I'd like to know myself
Q1: did it have a brass tube like the transom drain?
Q2: Other?

I don't understand what you want to know.

I don't understand in Q1 what "it" refers to.

I don't understand in Q2 what you mean by the single word, "Other".

f1loco

Postby f1loco » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Are you talking about the three holes in the anchor locker?

Two holes to the sides up top and the one hole on the bottom?

I used a piece of rubber tubing that would fit. I can't recall the size. I used epoxy to adheres the ends [of the rubber tubing to the hole], which seems to have worked fine.

For the most part [the anchor ocker now] stays dry in any event. [The anchor locker] does assist when the time for a bath comes.

Sailfish_wc

Postby Sailfish_wc » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:46 am

f1loco wrote:Are you talking about the three holes in the anchor locker?

Two holes to the sides up top and the one hole on the bottom?

I used a piece of rubber tubing that would fit. I can't recall the size. I used epoxy to adheres the ends [of the rubber tubing to the hole], which seems to have worked fine.

For the most part [the anchor ocker now] stays dry in any event. [The anchor locker] does assist when the time for a bath comes.

Thanks for the reply!
Our project boat is quite rough, wasn’t sure if they had brass tubing in the holes originally or not.
Certainly seems like they should have.

f1loco

Postby f1loco » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:14 pm

It's my understanding only the through hull holes used the brass are the two transoms in the back. (at least I have two - early 60's 13.5'). It's key they are sealed correctly as even OE it was apparently a bit of a weak link from Boston factory. I thought about changing them to something more "modern" but in the end spent a weekend of swear words and beer getting the old ones out and new ones it - but so far so good.