11' Tender Questions

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
garbeezle22

11' Tender Questions

Postby garbeezle22 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:40 am

I've got a 1985-ish 11' tender that I'm trying to refurbish/upgrade... I'm not too familiar with the 11' family, but I see it's alot different than the sport 110's i've seen at Whalertown and even from some of the 11' boats i've seen online. Most noticeably, it has a molded platform in the aft that has a built in storage compartment. Have a few questions on a number of subjects I'm hoping someone can assist with. Here goes.

1) I've bought the super sport wood from specialty marine to upgrade the interior. The previous setup used an old mechanical cable/pulley system. I am considering updating to a teleflex cable but not sure of the concerns with going that direction. Seems like it would unclutter the back end a bit and make it simpler but I'm not about the connection to the engine and whether the tilt tube is an easy thing to pull off in a lower profile transom.

2) The previous owner used throttle cables that uses an electric start so I have a battery onboard that can also connect to the running lights. Since it has running lights installed on the boat, I'm assuming it was meant to have a starting battery as well but not sure if that's excessive.

3) The throttle cables that control the engine are over 12' long and i have to coil them and lay them on the back platform. It seems like I could go with a shorter length and reduce more clutter. Is there a formula or standard length that you need for each size boat? From what I gather, you can't adjust the throttle cable, but would have to order a new set.

4) Does anyone have any advice on installing a bilge system on a smaller whaler? I see that the all the newer sport 110s on the dock have them but i'm curious if anyone has ever installed one on the older 11' boats. Assuming you would place it at the low point just forward of the aft platform. WIth the super sport interior, that will be right below the driver seat when installed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Joel in Annapolis