16-footer Dive Ladder on Gunwales Instead of Transom

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
goldstem

16-footer Dive Ladder on Gunwales Instead of Transom

Postby goldstem » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:00 pm

We have an old 16-footer used as a sailing rescue boat. The club member are unhappy with trying to use the usual hook ladder over the port side, and they want to try a dive ladder. Instead of mounting at the stern, I'd like to put the bracket on the port side about where the railing ends. I think a board like a 2x6 on the outside and a 2x4 inside should provide enough backing and bracing. What think you?

Tom Hemphill

Re: 16-footer Dive Ladder on Gunwales Instead of Transom

Postby Tom Hemphill » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Why not mount a ladder on the transom? To me, that location would be better in many ways.

goldstem

Postby goldstem » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:12 pm

I'd prefer to mount on the side because a) the railing is there to grab onto, and especially b) the crew on board can both more easily assist
getting the person back in the boat. plus the battery and fuel are currently in the stern as well...I know I can move the battery and gas,
but it remains there is nothing else back there to grab onto to help get you in the boat, and no way for the crew to assist.

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:58 am

Hi. I installed a swim platform from Martin Marine (http://www.martinmarinedesign.com/monta ... tform.html) on my Montauk last year. It works great. Has a folding three step ladder and rails to grab on to. May solve all of your problems.

Bob