Raising console in Outrage 25

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
russellbailey

Raising console in Outrage 25

Postby russellbailey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:58 pm

I have a 1984 Outrage 25 that I bought in about 2010 with the standard Montauk size console. Maybe two years after I purchased it, I raised the console about 3" on starboard spacers.

This past winter, it was time to re-core the front floor section. The Outrage 25 has three removable floor sections - the console is over the front section. So, I unfortunately had to fully de-rig the console. While the console was out, I experimented with blocking it up to different heights, and ended up with planning to make new risers of 8.5".

I had Raymond Martin make the new risers to match the spacing and footprint on the old starboard risers. He welded them out of aluminum. They appreciably more costly as opposed to just using more starboard but they came out very nicely.

All of us really like the higher console. We just ran the boat for 2 weeks around Morehead City for about 110 gallons of gas, and every person preferred the higher height. My kids drive it either sitting on the leaning post or standing on the leaning post footrest, while my 5'5" wife and me at 5'8" just stand normally behind it.

You can see spacer construction photos and installed shots at this folder. There is also one picture of the underside of the floor after I had bolted the spacers down - I used large washers to spread the load and had the bolt head under the floor to minimize protrusions, since the console rigging goes through part of that area - I did have to notch a couple of areas in the boat fiberglass to clear the bolt heads - I sealed those notches off with fiberglass and epoxy resin.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hliij7dc005a ... x4Ala?dl=0

peteinsf

Re: Raising console in Outrage 25

Postby peteinsf » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:36 pm

Wow, amazing, lots of fabrication on that project.

What wire gauge did you use to extend the starting batteries?

russellbailey

Postby russellbailey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:23 am

[The new battery cables are made with 00-AWG]--just to be safe with the Optimax. It is a fairly long run.

Don McIntyre - MI

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Russell--Interesting project. Since you had to totally remove the console, did you ever give any consideration extending the FRP to raise it?

russellbailey

Postby russellbailey » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:55 am

Don, that really did not occur to me. I had in my mind spacers to avoid having to modify the console itself.

While I can manage some projects on the boat myself, I don't have the same level of finish polish as a professional does with things like fiberglass, so I would have had to have someone else do the extension and get the console to them . It was easier for me to plan on just spacers.

PATXBill

Postby PATXBill » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Nice work! When the time comes to repower, I'm considering doing something similar and would love any drawings, dimensions, etc.

Because I have the 129 gallon tank, I moved my batteries to the console for better balance. Works well, but a pain to access or remove or replace them. When I repower, my idea is to raise the console enough that I could fit a sliding cooler platform under the console to mount the batteries on(something like http://www.boatoutfitters.com/universal-cooler-slides) but I don't know I'd have enough clearance.

Your solution raises the console well, and it just may fit. Has anyone done anything similar? I guess I'll need to take more measurements. Thanks for sharing!

russellbailey

Postby russellbailey » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:34 pm

PATXBill, no drawings - these were just made to exactly match the footprint of the old starboard risers (which I've since sold) and to get the height I wanted.

I can easily slide the batteries in and out from underneath the console - no more lifting. In addition, I did part of the re-rigging sitting straight up inside the console - with the batteries out, I could easily slide underneath the console on my back and then sit up inside - that was a bonus. I don't have a console floor in right now but may add one back eventually.

How often do you take batteries in and out? I took mine out for the repower for the first time in 4 years. I'd not try a slide as that is a lot of weight - just sit them on the floor when you raise the console.

PATXBill

Postby PATXBill » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks, Russell. That's a good explanation, and it sounds like just raising the console without the slider would probably be the way to go. And it's admirable that you can sit inside the console. I'm not sure I'm that patient (or tolerant of small spaces), but console access is another reason I have not re-wired, though it really needs a re-wiring. But I figure that'll happen when I repower.

I don't remove batteries often (every few years) but it bothers me that they are so inaccessible. Being able to slide them out as you do would be nice. If I go that route, I will probably put in a removable (or hinged) floor. As you can tell, I muse about this quite a lot. Just need to finally do it. :)

Thanks for your response and for sharing. I should note that I have a 22 outrage, not 25. But the same small console.

BarryCuda

Postby BarryCuda » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:36 am

I have a 1989 Outrage 22 that is in for a total recondition with Wildfire Marine Fabrication, Stuart, Florida, including raising-up the center console four-inches. The method was to add four-inches around the front port and starboard of the console where it meets the deck using fiberglass. This was also thickened-up to reinforce stability when mounting it back on deck. Wildfire also brought down four-inches the toe kick opening on the aft-facing center console. This gave the console an original natural look from all appearances--just another idea for consideration.