Johnson/Evinrude side mount control

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Sebash4

Johnson/Evinrude side mount control

Postby Sebash4 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:17 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to attach a side mount OMC control to a center console pontoon type boat. It has to be attached to the starboard side of the console but of course the control is not designed to do so since it's designed to mount on the inside gunwale wall where the mount bolts enter from port to starboard. I know that Honda makes a control that mounts on the console but I've never seen an OMC control mount like that. Does anyone know if OMC has such a control ? Hope I've explained this so it's understandable.

Qtrmeg

Re: Johnson/Evinrude side mount control

Postby Qtrmeg » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:52 pm

Sebash4 wrote:I'm trying to figure out how to attach a side mount OMC control to a center console pontoon type boat. It has to be attached to the starboard side of the console but of course the control is not designed to do so since it's designed to mount on the inside gunwale wall where the mount bolts enter from port to starboard. I know that Honda makes a control that mounts on the console but I've never seen an OMC control mount like that. Does anyone know if OMC has such a control ? Hope I've explained this so it's understandable.

Side mount controls & top mount controls are completely different in how you get the wiring & control cables installed. Top mount cables come up the bottom within the center console, and this is what you prefer. Of course OMC makes such a control. Side mount cables come in the back of the control and you wouldn't be the first person to use a side mount control on a center console. To do so you have to make up a mounting plate to securely fasten the side control to the center console. Then the cables are coming out of the back of the control into your boat. Now what?

Do you have a rigging tunnel? Do you mind them being under foot?

Sebash4

Postby Sebash4 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:43 pm

I don't have room on the console where I could mount it on top so I guess I'll have to make a bracket and mount it on the side. Thanks a bunch for your reply.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:57 am

Lee-

I mulled over your quandary and all I could come up with was to fabricate a U shaped brackets. The left sidewall would be bolted into the console side and the throttle would be bolted into the right side of the U.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Sebash4

Postby Sebash4 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:03 pm

I think you are correct. That is about the only way I can figure out how to mount it. Thanks a bunch for your reply.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:16 pm

I was in the same situation as you. The OMC side controls are somewhat ambidextrous in that I was able to swap the throttle handle to the other side of the case. The cables still exited from the bottom of the case. I removed the key switch and kill switch and mounted them on the dash of the console. Then I was able to mount the controls to the starboard side of my console in the usual way. I ran the cables in through a hole I drilled in the side of the console. I used a special cable mount that has a bellows to seal the cables. From there I ran the cables through the console and out the bottom. My Whaler does not have a rigging tunnel so I used a long section of extruded aluminum door sill plate. All my control and wiring cables fit inside and I hardly even notice it underfoot.This turned out to be a clean installation.

Sebash4

Postby Sebash4 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks a bunch. That's a really nice looking job you did on that. I didn't realize you could do that with OMC controls. Thanks again.