Whaler Sport 15 Rebuild

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
kleiser

Whaler Sport 15 Rebuild

Postby kleiser » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:33 am

Hey everyone: I [plan to] rebuild my SPORT 15. I am considering going with a center console as opposed to the classic side console. I want to know the [advantages or disadvantages of a center console compared to a side console].

Also I am also considering using a cooler as the pilot seat--something like a 120--to accommodate two people. My goal is to turn this boat into a flats-style layout. Any information is helpful.

What are the thoughts on a poling platform?

Thank you

flymo

Re: Whaler Sport 15 Rebuild

Postby flymo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:36 pm

It's quite a bit of work to go to a center console - you need to build a rigging tunnel, for example. A cooler as the pilot seat is fine, as long as you're OK without a backrest - and the person you're sharing the seat with had better be a good friend. Regarding the general idea of turning a 15 into a flats boat, with a poling platform, how much experience have you had with your current layout? How do you feel about the static stability of the 15 hull? Mine is awfully tippy at slow speeds. Do you think that would work well with a poling platform? How's your balance?

Basically I am thinking that if you want a flats boat, sell your 15 and get a real one. A 15 in decent shape brings in top dollar, so there's no sense putting a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into the project and ending up with something unsatisfactory. And then a lot of the value of the 15 is gone if you've modified it to the degree you're talking about - take it from a 15 owner whose previous owner thought they'd make it into a bass boat.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but that's how I see it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:44 pm

FLYMO comments about the stability of a classic 15-foot hull with a full-size adult standing on a poling platform over the outboard engine are very cogent observations. The lateral stability of the 15-foot hull is already rather modest. I used to adjust the lateral trim of my SPORT 15 by sliding the on-deck fuel tank a few inches Port or Starboard--the boat was that sensitive to weight distribution.

Usually a center console helm position is advantageous because you can stand at the helm. Standing is much preferred when taking waves in a small boat compared to sitting. I don't know if you could make the center console helm in a 15-footer tall enough to drive while standing. Generally a 15-foot hull is not piloted while standing.

FLYMO also is correct in his assessment of the difficulty of converting to a center console. It is not simple, and there could be a lot of variation in the quality of the workmanship in such a modification.

Generally the more a Boston Whaler boat is in its original condition, the more desirable the boat is to buyers. It is rare that significant modifications to the original designs are viewed as being great improvements. Any modification, unless done to the highest level of skill and design, generally results in a reduced value if you ever want to sell the boat.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:24 am

Actually, it is an easy conversion. You do not have to cut a rigging tunnel to install a center console. Nor do you have to make it look anything but OEM...

If you want to convert a sport or any 15 to a center console, it requires building two new OEM style tall seat risers (one with a rigging pass-thru) and two new twart seats.

Then, you need to make the rigging exit out of the front of the center console, run the rigging under the front thwart seat and to the side gunwale, then turn the rigging and run it between the riser block and the hull back to the motor just like a sport or super sport does.

See the attached drawing

2015-12-09 11.12.06.jpg
2015-12-09 11.12.06.jpg (102.24 KiB) Viewed 14194 times
Last edited by Jeff on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
1993 23 Walkaround Whaler Drive - 1988 190 Grady White Tournament- 1981 15' Striper (under restsoration) - Curator of Everything Boston Whaler on Instagram

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:26 am

You could use a cooler instead of a rear thwart seat if you wanted.
1993 23 Walkaround Whaler Drive - 1988 190 Grady White Tournament- 1981 15' Striper (under restsoration) - Curator of Everything Boston Whaler on Instagram

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:29 pm

Here are some pictures of my restored/modified to center console 15 footer

https://fifteenfootbostonwhaler.shutter ... pictures/8

Yes, I built a rigging tunnel. If your going to modify your boat, it should be done in a professional manner, not the quick and easy way, such as installing a full thwart in front of the console in order to hide the steering and all of the rest of the cables. Modification such as this is why homemade modifications most times devaluate the boat. It needs to be done in a manner that it looks like something that Boston Whaler should have done. Actually if you have experience doing fiberglass and carpentry work on boats a rigging tunnel is not difficult.
The height of my center console allows standing or sitting on the custom RPS seat.

rich

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Also, here is Mick Baldwin's (runpasthefence) custom 15 build thread. It is full of great pics of the process where he built not only a rigging tunnel, but an internal fuel tank cavity as well..

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:28 pm

I would like to see some performance figures and ride characteristics on that 15 footer of Micks. I have asked that question before, but with no results. I have seen a picture of it sitting partially covered in a field behind some boatyard. It looked somewhat neglected. I think he went too far in many directions with that boat. Maybe someone can prove me wrong.

rich

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:45 pm

He got deployed to Asia and the Middle East and the boat sat for a few years. He also had a 2.6l 200 V6 on it at one time.

Email him directly Rich. yeahtoast02@yahoo.com he is good at responding there, or if you want his phone number I have it too, he is happy to talk Whalers, but does not get back here much. He is on to motorcycles.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:31 am

BINKSTER (Rich) did very nice work on his modified 15-footer. Workmanship like that is what is needed if you start making modifications. All modified boats are not intrinsically done to perfection.

JEFF--I like your idea for the center console without boring the rigging tunnel.

If you are starting from a SPORT 15 you don't have too much to lose. The thwart seats on a SPORT 15 are the first thing an owner of that boat will modify.

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:22 am

I am thinking of doing a Striper model for my next 15 ft. Whaler project. How popular are they. I have the side console from my current 15 footer, which was originally a Striper, and the only seating was two swivel helms chairs, one behind the console and the other in the same position on the port side. Also had a bracket to mount another seat on the forward deck bulkhead. My console is beat up with a bunch of holes, but I would use it for a plug and make a mold from it to make new consoles. I would like to see a factory picture of a Striper, it looks like a simple project. It would be a boat I would sell, to replicate my current 15 footer is too much work.

rich

flymo

Postby flymo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:55 am

Using the front thwart to route the cables is a neat trick! However, if the original poster is looking at an optimized fishing setup, he may not want a thwart at all.

And I want to see video of someone using a poling platform on a 15 - I'm guessing it would end with a splash...