2006 320 OUTRAGE Deck Leak

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
HATTRICK

2006 320 OUTRAGE Deck Leak

Postby HATTRICK » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:15 pm

New to forum, hope I'm posting in the right category. [No--but I moved it to the right category--jimh]

Synopsis:

I've owned my 2006 320 Outrage for three season. The bilge pump very rarely came on up until a few weeks ago. At first I didn't think much about it--the pump only came on when I came back to the marina dock after being away for five-or-so days. I figured all the extraordinary spring heavy rain may have just settled in the bilge.

My 13-year-old son does a great job of cleaning the boat during the week. He takes his bike down and takes great pride in how the boat looks. He thoroughly cleans from bow to stern so when we shove off on Saturday the boat is pristine.

[The bilge pump] came on again Saturday, so after our day out I decided to see if I could tell where [the water] was coming in from.
I had my son run the hose as I looked through access doors in the head. Sure enough water was coming in towards the back of the boat on the port side. We determined [the leak] is coming from in front of the scupper gutter and where one deck screws into the other, right beside the fish box. (I hope I explained that well.) One of the scupper outlets was a bit clogged so I cleaned it out, hoping it was the scupper's inability to move out water quickly that caused water to not flow quickly enough and back up, but I don't think that was the problem. I ran my hand along the lining of the scupper gutter; it seemed smooth, except on both right and left end it tapers off, and there's no gel coat--almost feels unfinished. I was wondering: I could just put some 5200 in there and stop [the leak]? Or, could [the cause] be a void where decks attached?

I hope I explained it well. Would appreciate any feedback,

Thanks
HATTRICK

jimh

Re: 2006 320 OUTRAGE Deck Leak

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:13 pm

In your situation, I'd call Boston Whaler customer service. Talk to Chuck Bennett. If this deck leak is something other owners have seen and solved, Chuck will know about it.

Perhaps a photograph showing the area where you think the leak is originating would help readers understand the situation better.

HATTRICK

Postby HATTRICK » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:24 am

Thanks, I will get a picture next time at the boat, I will reach out to BW and Chuck Bemmett in the meantime,

I'll post picture as soon as I get it

HATTRICK

Postby HATTRICK » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:51 am

Just spoke to Chuck, very nice and helpful guy. He offered some suggestions, including trying to re-caulk around opening. Boat is 10 years old,

Once again thanks for the help

-