1997 OUTRAGE 24 Fuel Tank Dimensions; Fuel Sending Unit for Suzuki Outboards

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Gater

1997 OUTRAGE 24 Fuel Tank Dimensions; Fuel Sending Unit for Suzuki Outboards

Postby Gater » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:55 pm

I have a [1997] Outrage 24 with a 195-gallon fuel tank. What are the dimensions of the fuel tank?

Also, If I were to re-power with Suzuki outboards, what would be the correct fuel sending unit to use?

jimh

Re: 1997 OUTRAGE 24 Fuel Tank Dimensions; Fuel Sending Unit for Suzuki Outboards

Postby jimh » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:56 pm

If you are asking for the dimensions of the fuel tank on a 1997 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 24 in order to replace the tank, you will need more than the dimensions. You will need an OEM drawing of the tank.

What sort of "fuel sending unit" are you asking about? The fuel pick-up in the tank would not depend on engine brand. A fuel tank float level sensor would not depend on engine brand. Typically a fuel tank float level sensor is a resistive type and makes an electrical connection to either a tank level gauge or to a NMEA-2000 conversion unit. I have never heard of any outboard-brand specific devices for either method of tank level measurement.

Typically the fuel tank float level sender would be chosen on the basis of being in the USA or in Europe, as different standards are used, and on the basis of what sort of tank level instrumentation was planned to be used in the boat.

If you believe that the fuel tank level sender must be outboard-engine brand-specific, check with the manufacturer of the outboard engines you buy to see if that is true and what they recommend. I wouldn't rely on any anecdotal report you might get on-line.

Gater

Re: 1997 OUTRAGE 24 Fuel Tank Dimensions; Fuel Sending Unit for Suzuki Outboards

Postby Gater » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks Jim, this boat unlike my other whalers I've owned where it's a mechanical gauge in the floor. I have never had the electrical version and read somewhere as to Whaler using Mercury sending units on the new boats that's why I ask about manufacturer specific sending units.

How does the NEM 2000 work, dumb question but does it require a sending unit

Thanks for the help

Steve

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:54 pm

In the marine industry in the USA there is a standard for fuel tank level sending units, and I would anticipate that the sending unit on a c.1997 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 24 conforms to the standard resistance range.

To use NMEA-2000 networking to communicate fluid tank level, the typical arrangement is to use a standard resistive tank level sender--like the one you probably have now--and wire it to a NMEA-2000 sensor designed to sense the resistance and convert it to a tank level signal. I have written an article on precisely this topic. See

NMEA-2000 Instrumentation: Fluid Tank Level Monitoring
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... A2000.html