Checking the Level of Hydraulic Steering Fluid

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
HATTRICK

Checking the Level of Hydraulic Steering Fluid

Postby HATTRICK » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:28 pm

This hose nut assembly [which can be seen in the image linked below] was loose and some oil leaked. I'm assuming either steering fluid or hydraulic for the steering ram. It looked like hydraulic. I don't know how much leaked out. How can I check fluid level and add if I have too?

I went on Whaler web site, I couldn't find corresponding dwgs,

Thanks for the feedback.

[To view the image with better orientation use the link below:
http://continuouswave.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=2415

-
-
-
-
-
oil.jpg
oil leak
oil.jpg (83.47 KiB) Viewed 3656 times

-

floater

Re: oil leak

Postby floater » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:48 pm

On my Uflex system I have a knob on the top of the steering unit where the wheel mounts too. I can check the level there.

Jefecinco

Re: oil leak

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Our 190 Montauk has the Uflex hydraulic steering fill port on top of the console directly forward of the steering wheel. To check the fluid we look at the clear plastic tube that goes from the fill port to the steering wheel. If we can see the fluid level in the tube we don't add fluid unless the level is almost at the bottom of the tube. Fluid must be added carefully. The Uflex web site has downloadable instructions. Follow the instruction to avoid a spill.

Our Montauk buyer's package furnished by the selling dealer had the needed instructions and a few odds and ends to help with the job.
Butch

jimh

Re: Checking the Level of Hydraulic Steering Fluid

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:41 am

Usually a Boston Whaler boat is delivered with an owner's manual which will include the owner's manuals for any major accessory items, such as the hydraulic steering helm pump. As others have noted, the hydraulic fluid level is normally checked at the helm pump, which is typically the highest point in the hydraulic system.

The drawings available on the Boston Whaler owner's resources website usually are not reproductions of the owner's manuals for accessory products, but instead show the assembly details of the boat. Advice on maintenance of the hydraulic steering system should be found in the OEM manufacturer's owner's manual, not in the Boston Whaler boat owner's manual.

ASIDE: when taking photographic images with your smartphone camera, don't hold the camera with an orientation for a portrait aspect ratio or with an inverted portrait aspect ratio if you anticipate using the image as an in-line image in HTML. There really is no way to correct the image orientation using in-line HTML, and your image will appear, as it does here, with the wrong aspect ratio, making viewing the image difficult and disorienting.

Jefecinco

Re: Checking the Level of Hydraulic Steering Fluid

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:08 am

Because a hydraulic hose fitting between the pump and the cylinder was leaking there is a possibility some air was pulled into your steering system. If you find the steering does not feel the same as usual you may need to bleed the system after you have topped it off.

Leaks at hose fittings are uncommon. I assume you stopped the leak by tightening the fitting? I would inspect the fitting frequently during the next several weeks or whenever you are aboard.

System bleeding videos are available on U Tube. U Flex and Seastar systems are similar and the instructions for either are useful. It much easier if done by two people but I did it alone when I had to replace our steering cylinder seals.
Butch