15-footer Transom Split at Green Line

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
drewread

15-footer Transom Split at Green Line

Postby drewread » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi all--my 15' Super Sport Limited has a split at the green-line joint at the transom. What is the recommended repair?

transom.jpg
Transom joint split
transom.jpg (203.23 KiB) Viewed 2478 times

I was considering filling it with epoxy and fillers and then capping it off with some MarineTex somehow died a similar blue. Any concerns with trapping a pile of moisture in there if it exists?

How does one check if there is moisture in there?

I poked into this split with a pointy metal pick and couldn't feel the wood being at all soft in there, and the transom feels strong still. Overall this hull is in really good condition, so I want to get ahead of this.

Thanks.

Andrew

jimh

Re: 15-footer Transom Split at Green Line

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:29 pm

I would use WEST SYSTEM epoxy with some white thickener to fill the gap.

Million-dollar custom yachts are built with WEST SYSTEM epoxy. Get one of their $30 repair kits.

I have never used MarineTex, but neither have any custom boatbuilders who build million-dollar yachts.

Don't worry about tinting the repair to match the green color of the underlying laminate layers. If you must tint it, then use some acrylic pigment from an art supply store.

drewread

Re: 15-footer Transom Split at Green Line

Postby drewread » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi Jim,

I will be using West epoxy and fillers to do the main repair, but the MarineTex will cap it off as it is (I believe) UV resistant, and the West epoxies are not to my knowledge UV resistant. Hence the Spar Varnish over epoxy finished wood.

Thanks.

Andrew