Moeller Polyethylene Below-deck Fuel Tanks

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
steelhead55

Moeller Polyethylene Below-deck Fuel Tanks

Postby steelhead55 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:42 pm

As engineer, I feel that metal tanks below deck are just a poor solution, and, for me, going to the OEM and having one manufactured for a grand just seems like a bad idea. I am looking at some of these Moeller polyethylene below-deck tanks. Has anyone tried fitting one of them? Or something similar? I am willing to take all advice, so please fire away.

Gary

BACKSTORY: Well I learned a good lesson with only bad (could have been worse) impacts on my bank account recently. I recently pulled 30 gallons of bad gasoline out of my [c.1979 Revenge V-22] through the water-fuel separator. Turned out there was too much water in it, which quicky filled the sight bowl on the filter, so I did not notice that filter was all water. Water got into the fuel system on my 2004 225 Johnson-Suzuki, and heavily corroded the bottom 1-1/2 inches of the Vapor Separation Tank, and killed the high pressure fuel pump. I was shocked this amount of water got in there, so I am going to pull the tank after salmon season this year (November or so). Unfortunately this version of revenge has the floor that slides under the controls and into the cabin, so it is a real project. I have the old plastic tank in there, and when I pull the floor, I can not imagine leaving it in.

jimh

Re: Moeller Polyethylene Below-deck Fuel Tanks

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Have you found an off-the-shelf plastic fuel tank that will fit into the fuel tank cavity on your REVENGE V-22? I would expect that to properly fit a tank the form of the tank would have to conform to the V-shape of the fuel cavity. Is there a consumer-off-the-shelf tank that does that?

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:31 am

There are custom poly tank builders. Have a look at http://www.tek-tanks.com for an example.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 am

JEFE--that is an interesting supplier link you provide, but shipping a custom-molded tank to the USA from the UK might get expensive.

Tek-Tanks Ltd, The Old Stables, West End Farm, Colthouse Lane, Upper Froyle, Hampshire, GU34 4JR

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Jim--I agree. Importing would complicate things. When I did a search for custom poly tank builders several popped up. I meant the link only as an example of the availability of poly tank builders. Clearly, I didn't explore the site.
Butch