1988 MONTAUK 17: Size of Screw Fasteners

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
cvye

1988 MONTAUK 17: Size of Screw Fasteners

Postby cvye » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:32 am

I have an 1988 Montauk 17 that I'm reassembling the wood pieces. I'm missing a few of the screws needed. For instance the cooler chocks and the hatch cover fasteners. If someone has published a parts list with hardware required, I could look up sizing information. Thanks.

jimh

Re: 1988 MONTAUK 17: Size of Screw Fasteners

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:57 pm

CVYE--I don't think you can find detailed assembly drawings that would give you all the fastener sizes for a 1988 MONTAUK--well, I don't recall seeing one, and I suspect that you really don't need one to accomplish what you want. I also think that limited volume manufacturing of semi-custom items like boats was done somewhat differently in 1988 compared to today, and the notion that a carefully drawn to-scale mechanical drawing would show every detail of the assembly, down to individual screw fasteners, as we now expect, might not have been as rigorously followed then.

Wooden components that fasten to other wooden components are typically assembled with stainless steel flat-head wood screws of appropriate size and length, mostly #6, #8, or #10. Or perhaps brass screws. Sometimes the screw head is below the surface and a small plug covers it.

Components that are fastened to the hull in an area where there is embedded reinforcement will also use wood screws (or self-tapping screws) if the reinforcement is plywood or other wood. This is very typical.

In some instances a phenolic board, often a grade of melamine board, something like G9 or G10 (and often referred to as "whaler board" although I don't know that "whaler board" is a common industry term or a trademarked term for a particular material), is used as the embedded reinforcement, particularly where high strength and good holding are desired. The melamine or whaler board can be tapped and threaded, and then the fastener will be a machine screw instead of a wood screw or self-tapping screw.

In some instances involving holding molded fiberglass hatches to hinges, a sex-bolt or barrel nut is used. For more information see the article on recommended OEM suppliers at

Original Equipment Manufacturers and
Recommended Vendors

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... barrelNuts