Boat Tent Shelter

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
andrey320

Boat Tent Shelter

Postby andrey320 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Hello all. I’ve been thinking of trying to spend a night on the boat with my wife and would like to make that as comfortable as possible so that we will do it again. Unfortunately, I do not own a Whaler with a cuddy nor one that has an available Mills full cover. My Dauntless 15’s bow locker area is fairly large with a gentle slope towards the gunwales. I plan on making a bow filler to extend the sleeping area.

After much research into an affordable off-the-shelf enclosure with no success, I considered various options including draping a tarp, modifying a tent and having a custom enclosure made. None of the options really struck me as viable so I continued the search for a product and came across an enclosure made for inflatable boats - http://www.alekoproducts.com/BWTENT420G-Winter-Canopy-Boat-Tent-Gray-p/bwtent420g-ap.htm. It is basically a bimini with zippered curtains all around. It is waterproof and is advertised as being capable of fitting boats of the same size as the inflatable boat it is made for. There are versions for boats from 8.5 to 13.8 feet. The confusing part is that the advertised sizes are (I think and sort of confirmed with customer service) for the bimini / top size. I guess it makes sense because the sides can be angled to varying lengths.

I will probably buy the largest one and plan on mounting the bimini anchors on the gunwales somewhere between the console and anchor locker which should cover the forward 2/3rds of the boat. I would prefer to mount it on the rail to allow for the most height but doubt that it would stretch far enough down to the gunwales. If possible / practical, maybe I can fit a piece to block the rail “gap” if I mount the tent to the rail. I will probably need to add something to cover the open area inside the boat around the RPS. At least this is how I imagine it.

Please provide input on this plan. Do you see any problems that could be major roadblocks? Do you have any recommendations on other products or installation of this one?

Thank you!

jimh

Re: Boat Tent Shelter

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:25 pm

I certainly like the price ($209) of the inflatable boat enclosure. You'd be unlikely to get any similar custom-made enclosure for five times that price. Making boat canvas requires an artisan--a person who is skilled at making things by hand. Custom boat canvas made by artisans is not cheap.

I have seen a temporary forward shelter made by using a tarp thrown over the bow rails of an OUTRAGE 18. It works, but it is nothing like your inflatable boat enclosure--there was no ventilation.

Do either you or your wife have experience in sewing? I think it is becoming a lost art. But you could buy an off-the-shelf Bimini top, mount it to the rails or to hinges on the gunwales, and then make your own side curtains, forward curtain, and drop curtain with a bit of sewing and some zippers. Had we but world enough and time...I would like to learn how to sew and take a turn at making some simple boat canvas items myself.

andrey320

Postby andrey320 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks for the reply Jim.
The cost is one of the major draws to this product. By the way, they have a 10% off coupon and free shipping so it would be about $190 shipped. The vendor advertises a 30 day money back return policy so I'll be risking my return shipping cost if it doesn't work out.

Although I know how sew (girl scout patches and holes in pants), such a contraption would be way beyond my capabilities. I am more of a, "Let's take this and see if we can fit it to that" type of guy. A jack of all trades but master of none.

andrey320

Postby andrey320 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:53 pm

After taking some measurements and trying to picture it installed, I just placed the order for the largest one they offer. Most of these are out of stock, hopefully it won't take too long to get. Now on to making the bow filler.

andrey320

Postby andrey320 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:38 pm

Initial test fit went well. Different from what I imagined but good. I'll end up installing the quick release bimini mounts on the lip that runs the length of the inside of the boat, just behind the anchor locker. I reversed the intended orientation of the tent to put the door in the back. This should make egress easy and provides enough coverage down to the floor. I may not need to do any other modifications besides somehow securing the portion that overhangs.
The design is nice in that it allows for any of the four (or multiple) panels to be opened. Quality is decent - a couple of tiny pinholes in the roof that I may need to patch. But for $191, I'm not complaining. Still haven't made the bow filler and am going back and forth between different ideas.

andrey320

Postby andrey320 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Okay boys (and girls)... its done and tested! And it is great!

Spent the night at Channel Islands harbor with everything going smooth besides the launch ramp lights being out forcing me to launch in total darkness. Cloudy evening, dark launch ramp, tinted windows = real nail biter....

The setup is not too bulky (for what it is) with no modifications to the hull. I am especially proud of the bow filler platform. I made it two parts to help with ease of setting up and stowing. Each platform weighs 12 pounds so it is very lightweight. All aluminum with stainless hardware and folding stainless legs. Made the cushions by gluing some foam floor pads under a camping pad. It started getting wet at about 10pm and didn't let up until morning. Not a drop inside and very cozy. I am so excited about the possibilities this opens! Feels like when I first started boating and everything was so new and there were so many possibilities - the freedom of boating.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:00 pm

Audrey320 nice solution and it works for you. Does the aluminum platform always stores SB aft where you have it in your last picture or can it fold smaller and fit under the standard bow cushion? Or just leave it in place and store sleeping bags, etc. under it? All in all a great solution to enjoy some exploring.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

andrey320

Postby andrey320 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:47 pm

Hello Dutchman, thank you for the comments. The platform can stow anywhere there is space. It can stay in its place and hold cargo underneath. The two parts that the platform is made of do not fold any further, just their legs fold. I just traveled slowly in the harbor between the launch ramp, Harbor Patrol office and the guest slip. Haven't traveled far with it but I should soon. The plan is to launch out of Ventura and go up the coast (20+ miles) to Santa Barbara. That trip will test the "travelability" of the system.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:05 pm

Good luck with the trip and let us know under Trips & Rendezvous. I would think leave it in place stow the tent and night stuff under it and have the "babe" use it as a sunpad which with some of that weight forward will make the boat ride better.
Have fun.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

DiamondDog

Postby DiamondDog » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Great solution you came up with. Now that you have it in your possession, can you imagine it being place to cover just from the console back? Using it for piloting on crappy cold days? I can see it being used with a portable propane heater for warming up after cold dives.

Would it allow for driving visibility and would it withstand operating at trolling speeds?

Love to know your thoughts,
Thanks

andrey320

Postby andrey320 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:03 am

DiamondDog wrote:Great solution you came up with. Now that you have it in your possession, can you imagine it being place to cover just from the console back? Using it for piloting on crappy cold days? I can see it being used with a portable propane heater for warming up after cold dives.

Would it allow for driving visibility and would it withstand operating at trolling speeds?

Love to know your thoughts,
Thanks

You could probably mount it over the back half of the boat. To give enough height, you'd have to mount it on the rails. One possible concern with mounting on the rails, is the sides not being able to cover the gaps between the gunwhale and rail (depends on how tall your rail is. It is pretty flimsy - held in place with just the two mounts and a couple of straps but you could probably motor slowly with low winds. Check out the two videos from this guy who put it on his RIB. This is all I found when researching this solution but it gave me a good vision of how I could fit it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dZrcq_Gq5MI

DiamondDog

Postby DiamondDog » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:17 pm

I can't stop watching that video! I would be fine mounting it on the console for height--even better, and the flimsy supports could be replaced with something more sturdy. Not super worried about covering the space between gunwales and rails. It's almost worth ordering to see how it fits and just put it on my rib if it doesn't!

andrey320

Postby andrey320 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:52 pm

He has another video where he is under way with the tent -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcThmwZdqVo
(Disregard the illegal activities being filmed there....)

"It's almost worth ordering to see how it fits and just put it on my rib if it doesn't!"
That was my thinking except I didn't have a backup plan.... For $200 shipped it really is a very good deal if you can put it to good use.

My intention with posting this was to make others aware of the possible affordable solutions for a small boat shelter. If you make it work, that is another proof of concept which may allow others to try as well.
Hope it works out for you! Keep us posted.

andrey320

Postby andrey320 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:56 pm

DiamondDog wrote:I can't stop watching that video! I would be fine mounting it on the console for height--even better, and the flimsy supports could be replaced with something more sturdy. Not super worried about covering the space between gunwales and rails. It's almost worth ordering to see how it fits and just put it on my rib if it doesn't!

PS: You say, "I would be fine mounting it on the console...". Just want to make sure you have the concept correct - you would be mounting it on the rails, not the console.

You should measure the length between your rails to make sure it is close enough to the given specs. The way I mounted it, I have the "legs bowing in" a little. To mount on the rail, I'd have to "bow them out". If you Whaler is much wider than my Dauntless, you may have a problem.

scotmaria

Postby scotmaria » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:26 am

I would be fine mounting ,haler is much wider than my Dauntless.

DiamondDog

Postby DiamondDog » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:21 pm

My thought right now is to just drape the canvas over a t-top, bring the front toward the bow rails and attach with bungees if bottom doesn't reach; then attach the side curtain to the side rails in the same way, and have the back door/curtain come down over the RPS. I don't have the top or the boat, for that matter, in my possession yet, but the tent is sitting in a box in my basement :)