1976 SPORT 15: moving all-round lamp to starboard

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Surfhunter

1976 SPORT 15: moving all-round lamp to starboard

Postby Surfhunter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:01 am

My 1976 15 sport has the [white all-round pole lamp] and associated wiring block on the port side. All my rigging is on the starboard side so there is not good place to climb in and out of the boat and the wiring looks sloppy.

I'd like to move the [white all-round pole lamp] and [combined sidelights lamp] wiring block to the starboard side with the rest of the rigging. I know this would require drilling a new hole from the rub rail and running a new wiring to the bow on the starboard side.

Am I asking for trouble taking on this project? The rubrail is newer but not brand new. Is it wrong to fix some of the original quirks of this amazing boat?

Phil T

Re: Moving stern light - sacreligious?

Postby Phil T » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:49 pm

Nothing wrong with making it yours.

The wires can be run just by pulling the rubrail insert. No need to touch the receiver.

Why not enter the boat amidships or on the port side?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: 1976 SPORT 15: moving all-round lamp to starboard

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:33 am

Keep the pole lamp stowed when its light is not required to be shown. Add an electrical plug and socket to the navigation light circuit feeding power to the pole lamp to make connecting power to the lamp easier to make or break.

How often do you board after dark while underway or at anchor?

Also, a 1976 SPORT 15 has no navigation lamps called "bow light" or "stern light." The boat has a combined sidelights lamp and a white all-round lamp.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:11 pm

If that is what you want then go ahead. It is not a hard project. On my 15 footer the wiring block and plastic cover were missing so I had no choice but to build something new. I replaced the wiring that went forward to the bow and it was pretty easy to get under the rubrail. There is a wiring hole under the combination lights that you feed the wiring up into. I left the rear wiring hole on the port side but I built a nice wiring box out of marine grade aluminum to cover it with mini bus bars inside. Then I screwed a Perko removable pole light base right on top of the wiring box. As luck would have it my railing was damaged and I had to cut off the last couple of feet. I used a stainless right angle fitting to direct the final section of rail straight down. That clears the light pole nicely. I do as Jim suggested and stow the light pole away until I rarely need it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:01 am

OLD'--looks like you added cleats atop the gunwale at stern.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:34 am

Jim- yes I did, as well as the Perko chocks. I don't rely on the cleats for secure docking as they are just screwed/glued in place. I run the dock lines through the chocks to the stock Whaler stern and bow inner eyes. The lines stay on the dock and I clip the dock lines to the eyes securely with big stainless snap hooks. I actually use the cleats to mount my trailering light bar. It sits right on each of the cleats and I bungee cord the ends securely to the cleat bases. But they are handy for casual temporary docking or to tie on a killie car or chum pot. They are Perko "Marinium" brand - very durable. How's that for dating myself?