Trolling Motor on Dauntless 15

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
basslake

Trolling Motor on Dauntless 15

Postby basslake » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:18 pm

I am purchasing a 1996 Dauntless 15, and want to put a Minnkota trolling motor on it. I have two choices, mount the trolling on the transom, or on the bow. Is it possible to mount a clamp-on trolling motor to the transom? The rub rail seems to prevent this.

And, if I were to mount to mount a trolling motor on the bow, can the trolling motor be bolted to the flat area in the bow?

I think I would need to remove one of the cleats, but is there sturdy material under the fiberglass to mount it to? Bolt through? llag bolts? Has anyone done this? Thanks.

jimh

Re: Trolling Motor on Dauntless 15

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:42 am

A duplicate thread has been deleted.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:43 am

To discover the location of embedded reinforcements, get the wood locating diagram for your model from Boston Whaler customer service. A fitting like a cleat used for mooring the boat would certainly be fastened to embedded material in the hull in order to create a mounting point with enough strength to be used to hold the boat at anchor or to a dock or mooring.

Railings at the bow that interfere with the installation, operation, and removal of a trolling motor can be modified; a section of the horizontal railing is cut away; some leave the railing with a gap at the bow; others fashion hinge and catch mechanisms to allow the railing to remain in its original wraparound style.

Any substantial alteration of the railing must be done with good design and craftsmanship, or the result will be inappropriate for a Boston Whaler boat.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:07 am

Read this concurrent thread on the topic of removing bow rails:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2533

troller

Postby troller » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:59 pm

I had a trolling motor on my 18 dauntless. I took it off as the clearance between it and the rail when raising and lowering was a finger breaker. Added a transom mount which just doesn't work for me. I am presently considering a nylon sock that would fit over the motor when raising and lowering. It would have a rope attached which would allow you to raise and lower keeping your fingers away from the rail. I think it would work. I don't want to alter my bow rail. Any thoughts/

andrey320

Postby andrey320 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:51 pm

Take a look at Fishgutz's approach, that is what I'm considering on my Dauntless 15.
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/016330.html

troller

Postby troller » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:27 am

Thanks, I could not see all of his photos. I am going to try mounting (have the bracket from prior installation) someone else's motor before buying another one. If the nylon hood works, it will be very clean, simply remove the slip over hood.