1984 Outrage 18 Planning Many Projects for Boat To Be Purchased

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Spc337

1984 Outrage 18 Planning Many Projects for Boat To Be Purchased

Postby Spc337 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:28 pm

I'm planning to purchase a classic 1984 Outrage 18. There are a few problems I want to address which may include cleaning up the existing wiring. I'm a neat freak so I want to run the wires cleanly and zip tie to keep them tidy. The existing battery was moved under the console and I would like to add a second battery on a switch while allowing both to be charged with only one to start the motor.

I'm suspect this is not a unique activity but I haven't found any projects specifically on this and curious if someone has completed a similar task.

I also want to remove the existing stereo that was put in the console and replace that with a marine radio. Neither the RPM nor MPH gauges are working so I would like to restore those as well. I also need to install a Fish/GPS and Radio Antenna. The Nav lights work but are very week so I may want to update them with newer versions from Specialty Marine which are LED. I would also like to consider moving the nav light from the console to the stern.

I suspect the fuel tank is original so I also need to check the hoses. Not sure what the cost to replace that is should it need it, but if I end up lifting the console, it seems like the right time to replace that as well.

I was a little confused why there are two trim controls, one on the throttle and one just below the throttle control on the console (see picture).

Lastly, was wondering if I should be replacing the engine key with one that has a safety cord. Seems like a good idea.

I'll probably also install a Bimini - ideally with a wind shield as I'm in the Pacific Northwest..

Not sure if trim tabs are necessary on this boat but that could be another consideration in the future..

Lot's of projects :)

Any advise and links to previous projects would be great.

Thanks
Attachments
Console-O18.jpg
Console-O18.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
Boston Whaler 1979 V-22 Outrage

jimh

Re: Outrage 18 - 1984 Vintage

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:55 am

For advice of electrical systems for small boats start a second thread on that topic and related questions in the SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL forum at

viewforum.php?f=9

Overhaul of the electrical power distribution on older small boats is a popular topic there. Discussions about primary power wiring with more than one battery are covered there, too.

jimh

Re: 1984 Outrage 18 Planning Many Projects for Boat To Be Purchased

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:02 am

The cost of a replacement fuel tank from the OEM (Florida Marine Tanks) will be about $1,000. Visit their website or ask for a quote to get a more accurate cost of the tank. Shipping will be expensive.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:04 am

Rubber fuel hose should be clearly marked with their date of manufacture. Hoses made prior to c.1987 may not be tolerant of alcohol-gasoline fuel.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:07 am

If you purchase a boat with the original navigation lamps supplied by Boston Whaler, it would be prudent to retain them in preference to buying knockoff replacements.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:13 am

All the many and widely varied topics you raise in this initial thread regarding the boat you may purchase in the future have been the subjects of many prior discussions. I recommend you do further research on these topics in the archives using this search page:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/oldForum/

After you purchase the boat, and if you have questions, it is better to ask each question in a separate thread, rather than ask multiple questions on a wide variety of topics in one thread.