REVENGE 22 W-T Cabin Cushion Replacement

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
BDBinWV

REVENGE 22 W-T Cabin Cushion Replacement

Postby BDBinWV » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:57 pm

I will soon be replacing the cabin cushions for my Revenge 22-WT and am curious what others have done. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience regarding upholstery and foam selection?

Don McIntyre - MI

Re: Interior cushion replacement for classic

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:39 pm

One recommendation, regardless of where you have them made: the factory set comes with some sort of synthetic on the undersides. We had some made using canvas or a synthetic that breathes--perhaps Sunbrella--then turned them over and covered with a custom fitted sheet. Felt much more comfortable.

Regards - Don

jimh

Re: Interior cushion replacement for classic

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:02 am

If I were making replacement cushions for REVENGE 22 W-T, the most important element would be the foam. Getting the foam right is the first and most important step. It is akin to picking out the firmness of a mattress for sleeping--and here I assume the goal for the cushions is to be slept on for eight hours and not just sat on for a few minutes. Once you find the proper foam, the choice of upholstery fabric is next.

Boston Whaler seemed to use plaid fabrics in brown and tan hues. I have not found the source. Sunbrella is now available in many colors and patterns. Sunbrella fabrics stand up to sun and weather, but cushions in the cabin should not see much sun or weather, so I am not sure the added expense of Sunbrella is required. We had some small cushions made and covered with Sunbrella in Pacific Blue for use on deck--well actually now we use them on the deck of the house. We don't panic if they get a bit of sun or rain on them.

We have made a filler panel for the cabin berths in the REVENGE 22 W-T, creating a large single berth, and made a new cushion for the filler. As for sleeping on the cushions, we have found that we don't sleep directly on them. Over the four cushions, we usually put a layer of foam--bought from "the foam store"--about an inch thick; this evens out the gaps between the four separate cushions that form the big berth. We don't use sheets; we enclose the top foam in a duvet cover, and that becomes the bottom "sheet" of the berth. This foam is something like what you might get for your Yoga mat; it has enough rigidity that it can carry over the gaps in the cushions below and even out the surface you sleep on.

I don't know that there is any sort of standard nomenclature or standardized rating system for characterizing foam, and therefore I cannot tell you a specific material or quality or descriptor for a foam to use. I think you just have to buy what you can find available locally--or what I referred to as "the foam store" which is a local shop that sells materials of that sort--and assess it for your purposes by pushing on it or poking it or making your own determination of its utility as a surface to sleep on.

There is also something around called variously "memory foam" which I think means the foam likes to be compressed and will compress and conform to an impressed shape, but will eventually go back to its original shape. As to whether or not this makes for a better filler for cushions for a V-berth to be slept on, I am not quite sure I have a strong opinion on that. We actually have a piece of memory-foam. It is several inches thick, and we have given it a tryout by laying it atop the regular cushions. The combination was nice, but it was so thick that the headroom in the cabin over the berth was reduced quite a bit. We have been sleeping in there for years without the memory foam, and I can't testify that adding the memory foam is absolutely better than what we used before.

BDBinWV

Re: REVENGE 22 W-T Cabin Cushion Replacement

Postby BDBinWV » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:56 am

Thanks for the replies, Jim and Don. And yes Don, I think using a breathable fabric on the bottom of the cushion is wise. It never made sense to me why the vinyl fabric was used on the original cushions. Fabrics have evolved considerably in the last 30 years and I would imagine what was considered the best choice back in the 80's may not be the best choice now. The Sailrite website recommends using a breathable foam, as well as a breathable fabric on the bottom. The result is a much more pleasant/cooler sleeping experience according to the Sailrite website. But as Jim mentioned, I foresee using a pad on top of the cushions for the same reason Jim does. The addition of the pad would eliminate the air circulation, however. Another option would be to just make the cushions thicker using the breathable foam.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Another factor in our use of the cushions: we sleep on them mostly in latitude 45-North or higher, and the overnight temperatures are normally in the low 60's. If you were to be sleeping in the cabin in warmer climates, maybe other factors will affect choice of foam and fabric.

jimp

Postby jimp » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:19 pm

Fabric and foam are both important, but add to that "what are you going to use the cushions for?"

I had a 1990 Revenge -22 W-T for 18 years here in Juneau, Alaska. Original cushions in excellent shape. We also had a triangular "filler piece" to complete the v-berth. We used her for 1-2 night trips and fishing. For fishing, the original cushions were great for taking naps. For overnight sleeping, well, 1-2 nights was all we could do. Never got really comfy. For sitting?

So at year 16 we added a "full sized" memory foam mattress pad (that also doubled in the house quest room full sized bed when not on the boat). That made all the difference in sleeping comfort - the boat became a "great sleeper"!

JimP
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (120 KiB) Viewed 6412 times

Eagleman

Postby Eagleman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:53 pm

When we redid our cushions in our Revenge 25 W-T we went a little different direction. We reduced the cushion count to utilizing just two large cushions. We now have a port and starboard cushion that are split equally down the middle (bow to stern) and extend up to the edge of the
wood platform that covers the porta potti space area. Both cushions were made up consisting of two separate pieces of sandwiched and glued foam, one softer foam piece on the bottom about 3" thick glued onto a upper 1" firmer foam, cut to fit both the v-birth area as well as the tapper/profile of the hull's interior. Then they were both covered then with breathable canvas on the bottom and a blue tweed patterned nylon upholstery on the top and sides. For sleeping purposes we modified a king size mattress pad to cover both cushion, use a king size cotton top sheet and a king size duvet with light weight down comforter. Best sleeping in the harbor, porta potti is not used EVER on board and has been in storage since I purchased our boat.
Eagleman

wamair

Postby wamair » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:33 pm

I have a 20 Revenge I plan on replacing my upholstery my self. I found an old walking foot sewing machine and started to practice.
Check out Sailrite.com They have a lot of great videos' for marine upholstery work