13-footer: Rub Rail at Combined Sidelight Lamp

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Sailor536

13-footer: Rub Rail at Combined Sidelight Lamp

Postby Sailor536 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:49 pm

I recently replaced the rub rail on a 13-footer. Ineed some advice on how to install the [combined sidelights navigation lamp] at the bow. When I purchased the boat, this lamp was missing.

Do I need to cut away the rub rail section where the lamp sits?

Below I show the rub rail without the black insert installed yet.
Attachments
Pic 3.jpg
Pic 3.jpg (44.31 KiB) Viewed 3281 times
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 2.jpg (39.16 KiB) Viewed 3281 times
Pic 1.jpg
Pic 1.jpg (38.68 KiB) Viewed 3281 times
13 Boston Whaler Hull 14379 - 1964

jimh

Re: 13-footer: Rub Rail at Combined Sidelight Lamp

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:28 pm

My guess about the method of avoiding interference between the rub rail and the combined sidelight lamp: the lamp is mounted to a sub-base so it is raised above the bow rail moulding. Does the seller of that lamp offer any advice in the installation instructions provided?

You can see a dozen or so images of how other owners have installed the combined sidelight lamp at the bow with relation to the rub rail by following this link to a GOOGLE search for images:

LINK to Search for Images of Boston Whaler Combined Sidelight Lamp Mounting at Bow

Here is an image that I recovered from a Photobucket account of Rob (RATHERWHALERING) that shows a profile view of the lamp. The lamp shown appears to have been made with a relief molded into it to fit over the rub rail.

combinedSidelightLampProfileViewCrop.jpg
Profile view of combined sidelight lamp and chock assembly, installed at bow of Boston Whaler boat.
combinedSidelightLampProfileViewCrop.jpg (26 KiB) Viewed 3241 times

The lamp you have purchased appears to not have been made with the relief, or, if there is a relief, it is not sufficiently large.

drewread

Re: 13-footer: Rub Rail at Combined Sidelight Lamp

Postby drewread » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Bolt it on with 3M 4200 to bed it. It will be a pain in the arse to ever get off, but you will have no water intrusion.