Trailer bunk hardware

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
InVision

Trailer bunk hardware

Postby InVision » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:53 am

Got a 2004 Nantucket 190 with original trailer. I figure on a couple hundred dollars for repairs. Since I am putting boat on our dock boat lift soon I will be repairing trailer.

One of the bad parts were the bunk braces. Apparently when [Karavan] made these in 2004 they used zinc coated bunk brackets. As you can see they are corroded. I call [Karavan] and they have galvanized replacement bunk brackets now. These will be more suited to our saltwater here in Destin. I have always used a nylon washer between the bracket and brace. Plan on reversing the bracket, getting new screws so I will get into better material and use 5200 sealant.

Any advice on nylon washer? I can not tell if they were there originally.

The leaf springs look good, the still working brakes were replaced with SS at one point so I plan to clean, inspect and grease. One brake hose needs replaced that runs from brake to rear axle. Not even sure I need brakes since the boat ramp is only 1.5 mile from dock. Brakes have always POS on older trailers I have owned. Seems that I repair and since I use so infrequently they have to be repaired ever year or 2.

Any thoughts would be appreciated on the small trailer repair.

Thank You,

M

2004-190-nantucket copy.jpg
2004-190-nantucket copy.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 3421 times

IMG_7556.JPG
IMG_7556.JPG (107.15 KiB) Viewed 3421 times

IMG_7557.JPG
IMG_7557.JPG (96.23 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

Jefecinco

Re: Trailer bunk hardware

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:49 am

That's a Karavan trailer. I'm guessing it had a fair bit of salt water use followed by a lack of basic maintenance (fresh water wash down) for it's 13 year, so far, life. The old bracket was probably zinc electroplated but the new one appears to be "hot dip galvanized" which I believe is superior. For your intended usage it should last a lifetime. I'm a fan of stainless steel hardware vs galvanized for the new screws. I would consider replacing the screws with through bolts. It would require careful sizing and a relief hole in the bunk to keep the head below the hull but should never need replacing.

Good luck with Irma. So far the forecast predicts a better, for us, path to the North.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:23 am

A good online source for trailer parts and stainless shafts, bolts,nuts etc. is

http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com

I got this recommendation from a whaler owner and used them for all the upgrades to my new LoadRite trailer. Pricing is better than most, shipping is quick.

They are based in Bradenton and Sarasota.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

InVision

Postby InVision » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks for the replies -

IMHO - I know that SS bolts hold up better, but my feeling is that they are somewhat soft. I use galvanized bolts for bunks and zinc for strength on bunk to bracket connections. I spray the entire support area with LPS3 and have never had a problem. My boat lift is all galvanized and sprayed with LPS3 and is 22 years old with no hardware problems. The motors have been also sprayed with LPS3 and are original and have been submerged twice during hurricanes. I fresh water wash them as soon as they are emerged.

Any thoughts on nylon spacer?

M
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:14 pm

The spacer is a good idea for separating the galvanized from the ss.

In my book, any fastner getting dunked repeatedly in salt water will not be removable and will probably need to be replaced.

When I get a new boat and trailer I review everything and replace items that are mostly warn just so I know they are solid going forward.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003