15 Whaler Super Sport Project - Baystar Steering

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Jefecinco

Re: 15 Whaler Super Sport Project - Baystar Steering

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:30 am

We have the standard Uflex hydraulic steering on our 135HP Verado powered 190 Montauk. We have enjoyed the steering system for about seven years. I've had to replace a seal in the cylinder but otherwise have had no problems.

Our only complaint is we have not been able to establish a "king post" or a single spoke that can always be used as the dead ahead steering wheel position when centered. With cable steering I usually wrap some cord around the wheel at the king post so I can tell when the engine is perfectly centered by feel. Around the launch ramp, docks and other tight maneuvering situations I feel far more secure knowing where the engine is pointing without having to look behind. If you know of a way to establish a king post with hydraulic steering please post it.
Butch

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:01 pm

Jefecinco wrote:We have the standard Uflex hydraulic steering on our 135HP Verado powered 190 Montauk. We have enjoyed the steering system for about seven years. I've had to replace a seal in the cylinder but otherwise have had no problems.

Our only complaint is we have not been able to establish a "king post" or a single spoke that can always be used as the dead ahead steering wheel position when centered. With cable steering I usually wrap some cord around the wheel at the king post so I can tell when the engine is perfectly centered by feel. Around the launch ramp, docks and other tight maneuvering situations I feel far more secure knowing where the engine is pointing without having to look behind. If you know of a way to establish a king post with hydraulic steering please post it.

Might be a good subject to break out to a separate thread, but before that's done I will comment on what could be a factor (or two) with your system.

Hydraulic systems are very finicky to remove air bubbles and purging them all out is not an easy task. The biggest concern is the helm is above the cylinder and you are trying to push the air down to be bled out the cylinder and the bubbles what to float up to the helm. I'd suggest having someone power bleed the system. The other concern could be sticky bypass valves from contamination and those are easy to remove and clean, but requires a purge.

I'm not sure you can have a perfect hydraulic system where TDC of the wheel remains the same. The bypass valves can throw off the wheel center if the wheel is cranked beyond the systems limited travel and this could also impact the wheel TDC position.

D-

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:47 am

DT,

Thank you. I went to considerable trouble to refill and bleed the system when I replaced the cylinder seal. I went through the process three times before satisfying myself that the system was air free. I was working alone using plastic bottles taped to the inner transom with clear plastic hoses running from the bleeder valves into hydraulic fluid. I also had tubing running from the fill port on the console top to a nipple on an inverted fluid supply bottle taped to the windshield upper railing.

The next time I have the Verado serviced I'll have the power bleeding done. When working alone it's easy to miss a few bubbles especially when it's hot and sweat is running into your eyes.
Butch

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Fri May 31, 2019 10:01 pm

Took the boat for a ride last week and the dead spot in the cable steering drove me nuts and motivated me to start installing the Baystar system.

Fig. 1. Pulled the console and associated wiring and now able to clean up a few things I decided to change.

Fig. 2. Old below and new Baystar cylinder installed, no plumbing yet.

Fig. 3. I used a backmount kit to reduce steering wheel protrusion since the helm pump extends out a good bit.

Fig. 4. Once installed it is the same fit as the cable system it replaces.

Fig. 5. View of the helm. Still need to mount console and tidy up a few things.

wiringUnderConsole.png
Fig. 6. View of helm rotated to normal orientation.
wiringUnderConsole.png (74.54 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

I need to figure out if I can run the hoses in the rigging tube, or if they are too stiff and need to be run another way.

D-

Guitarfish

Postby Guitarfish » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:37 am

Your photo work log has resolved a few problems I've run into during my Menemsha 'clean up'. Now, conveniently for myself, you are addressing my latest thoughts involving hydraulic steering. So thank you for that.

After an incredible amount of labor spent on my boat it looks about 10% as nice as yours. I have a cheapy table saw that has a fence with a mind of its own, and almost no wood working ability personally. I rebuilt my new console and will be pleased if it is 'clean' looking when complete. I have mastered the lumpy, runny finish look completely. It does have the wet look at least.

At this point I am a few weeks away from turning to the engine repaint and trim addition. I have done a polish and clean of the interior only as I want to fish out of the boat without worry.

My compliments on your skills. I am mildly envious.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:11 pm

Thanks for the kind words Guitarfish.

Steering is installed and took it for a ride today and this was a very worthwhile upgrade. The dead spot in the steering is gone and there is zero torque steer in the wheel with a noticeable reduction in steering input. Very pleased with the results.

Steering wheel with the recessed mount kit is the same as the cable teleflex.

I ran the 2 hydraulic lines on the inside where as the cable steering ran on the outside.

The hydraulic lines run through the rigging tube, so there is only one line (the rigging tube) that carries everything to the motor.

The lines in the kit are rigid and cut to length, the unfortunate part is they are not as flexible to make tight bends, so after covering in split loom the engine side of the rigging looks like an octopus, but it's rigged and protected from the UV.

I'm done for now with this boat and will enjoy as the dingy to our larger boat and also serving as a trailer queen to trailer and explore other areas.

D-

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:14 pm

My son was moving the lawnmower in the garage and bumped the trailer light and cracked the lens. There's also been a concern of mine that when trailering the lights are very low and not within direct sight of following cars, so I decided that I'd install guide-ons and LED pole lights.

I cut the poles so they are not too high and launched today and they stay plenty far out of the water. I did not use the mounting system they came with a drilled them directly into the trailer and used 3/8 stainless screws and they are solid. I also coated all mating surfaces with grease and sealed all connectors in silicon.

Another thing I wanted was a radio, but didn't want to install a system, so I grabbed a JBL bluetooth speaker that is waterproof and syncs to my phone and has amazing sound. There is a rubber foot on the bottom and it stays put on the console, but for big waves, I remove and store.

D-

dtmackey

Re: 15 Whaler Super Sport Project - Matching Cornhole Boards

Postby dtmackey » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:33 pm

Since the Whaler rehab, I've had the desire to build a set of cornhole boards with the same look at the Whaler interior. About 2 months ago, my wife came home from a fundraiser planning meeting for the private school my daughter attends and she informed me that she volunteered me to build a set to donate.

It didn't take me long to purchase the wood and start the lamination process and I made 2 sets, 1 to donate to the school and another for myself.

Pretty close to the Whaler interior.

D-