Through-hull Fitting Repairs c.2004 190 NANTUCKET

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
vze2gbs4

Through-hull Fitting Repairs c.2004 190 NANTUCKET

Postby vze2gbs4 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:10 pm

Just bought 2004 190 Nantucket. I wanted to alert my fellow Whaler owners of potential problem I experienced on my last two Boston Whaler boats.

On my [2004 190 Nantucket boat's] starboard side there are two below-the-waterline through-hull fittings right below the swim platform. Both of them were broken where the thread begin, and were pulled inside by the hose that shrank over last 13 years.

You wont recognize this problem since part of the through hull that flush against the transom is still in place and looks just fine. This is an absolutely catastrophic failure for any sinkable boat since water is sipping freely inside the hull by the crack. I experienced this same failure on my 2007 210 outrage. Why Boston Whaler is not installing bronze or stainless steel through hulls instead of these $5-parts is beyond my understanding,

I understand that cutting cost is part of running a business but there should be no compromise in anything below water.

I replaced [the damaged fittings] with $70 bronze ones--no chance of breaking again.

Be aware of this problem.

The best way to check is to pull the hose as close to the through hull inside as possible. If it moves together with flange it is broken since there is nothing to hold it in place anymore.

Another thing that drives me crazy is black plastic $1-cup holders [ on a boat that costs] $75,000. I Just replaced four with stainless ones for $15.

Not holding in place is another story.

Two circles with electric tape around the edge-rubber mallet and its good for life of the boat.

To fix all the time same problem that are so easy to get it right the first time frustrates me.

jimh

Re: Through-hull Fitting

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:01 am

As I recall there was a campaign to alert owner's about this problem. There is a Whaler video on YouTube about this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zby76eoKO-I

InVision

Postby InVision » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:21 pm

Good info. Will check our boat. What brand and part number work?
[Requests a photograph]
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

InVision

Postby InVision » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:40 am

I have two bad thru-hull fittings on our 2004 Nantucket 190 under the swim platform. Best I can tell they are Boston Whaler part numbers 0996538 and 0996546. I would like to find original parts. I have absolutely no luck. I have to look at after-market I guess. Not sure where to start.

Kind of weird that the boat uses a 1-11/32-inch and 1-1/2-inch instead of two 1-1/2-fittings..

Ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:57 pm

The through-hull fittings are most certainly consumer-off-the-shelf fittings. If you can identify the manufacturer then you can very likely buy them directly from the manufacturer or one of his dealer-distributors.

To buy them as a part from Boston Whaler just contact Twin Cities Marine in Wisconsin and talk to Sue the parts sales person. This should get you the OEM part, albeit perhaps at a higher price than if you bought it as a generic part from a big vendor like Defender.com.

InVision

Postby InVision » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:23 pm

I found the Boston Whaler new numbers for the two bad thru-hull fittings. All fittings were good except the Livewell and the starboard deck fitting. Interestingly they are the only two with [threaded retainer] nuts. All others are press fit.

1772845 [Updated part number]

The fittings are $18 or so each.

M

hull.png
hull.png (76.15 KiB) Viewed 28465 times
Last edited by InVision on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boat Photos

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 pm

Invision -are you planning installing same crappy parts again?

Those two [through-hull fittings] that you indicated are the same ones that were broken on mine.

The hose that shrinks pulls them inward causing a break--it will happen again .

Finding 1.5-inch thru-hull that has extra long thread to pass the sandwiched transom is not easy at all. I had no luck in West Marine [or at] a Mercury dealer that carries many boat parts as well.

I replaced [the original fittings] with Perko 377-B08-PLB Bronze 1.5 inch thru-hull scupper that I found online. [The PERKO part is] not cheap, but I don't want to worry about this again.

I resealed the opening and let it dry before I re-installed the thru -hull with generous amount of marine sealant.

I replaced the deck hose with a premium one; it won't shrink.

You need a hand when you reinstalled them. Someone has to hold [one part] in place [so as] not to move, while other person is tightening the nut slowly.

You can re-use hose clamps.

[I] re-sealed the edge from the outside of every single other one [that] you said [were] good.

Do nott remove them. Just resealed them [using a] thin layer of silicone and spread with wet finger.

[This is a] delicate job. Do not make [a] mess.

Trust me: they are taking water slowly.

InVision

Postby InVision » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:08 am

Yes Sir, installing OEM ones. Going to kick the can down the road again I guess you would say. These lasted 14 years so I am good with that they are less than $40 for both. Also all the press fit thru-hull are white and they are in excellent shape so I want them to match. Finding the correct bronze ones will be the fall back plan, but this will allow me to actually measure the OEM ones, save up some money and find all six bonze one replacements. Sounds like a winter project down the road when the boat is trailered and not on boat lift. Best time of the year here to boat and fish is Sept - Dec. And the boat is new and we want to use it.

If the the hose shrinking cause them to fail, they are all shrunk by now. :-) I am thinking over tightening the nut also had something to do with the failure.

I am very grateful for this thread as it pointed me to a potential water intrusion concern.

Thank you

M

Boat Photos

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:16 am

Ok-whaler dealers carry these parts since it is current production model. I remember when I was replacing them on a 210 one of my local dealer parts guy had many different ones in stock.

InVision

Postby InVision » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:34 am

It is a funny thing. One whaler dealer gave me different part numbers, but the latest dealer said both are the same the new Thru-Hull part number is 1772845. Since VZE2GBS4 used the same for both I suspect that is correct.

M

thru-hull.jpg
thru-hull.jpg (106.13 KiB) Viewed 28422 times

Boat Photos

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Invision--[I] forgot to tell you: tightening that nut is gonna be a very, very, uncomfortable job since there is no right tool for it or room to do it. I used [an] over-sized copper pipe that I flatten[ed] on two corners to grab at least two sides of that nut so you have a grip to tighten it.

InVision

Re: Through-hull Fitting Repairs c.2004 NANTUCKET

Postby InVision » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:05 pm

I can't see tighten all that tight with plastic thru-hulls. Made a 3" long aluminum tube with grip on outside to fit plastic nuts. Going to hand tighten then let cure for 24 hours and follow up with tightening with aluminum tube tool I made. Made an aluminum lobster measure stick into a tool to hold outside of thru-hull in place in the 2 grooves while doing the final tightening.

Boat Photos

swist

Postby swist » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:57 pm

I replaced all three thru-hulls on my 2004 170 Montauk last year, and it was NOT easy to find better quality replacements.. Giving Boston Whaler the benefit of the doubt I think they may be Marelon rather than plain old plastic. The fittings were so worn and the caulk crumbling, that I was able to literally pull them all out of the hull with only my hands. The two in the transom and the one in the sump were identical.

I looked everywhere and wound up buying stainless steel fittings that had a flange on one end only, and were threaded all the way along the shaft. I had to use a stainless steel nut on the inboard side. Maybe it didn't look as nice on the interior as the originals with finished flanges on both sides, but they look classy on the back of the transom and the nuts are pretty hard to see, being in the sump and the splashwell. Unfortunately I do not remember where I got them, but I looked everywhere for bronze or stainless. These will last forever.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Stainless steel nuts atop stainless steel fender washers would also look pretty good as well as protect the underlying fiberglass.
Butch

InVision

Postby InVision » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:13 am

For the Record - I am very grateful that vze2gbs4 pointed out that I should inspect the thru-hulls. Boat US had a write up last month about inspecting and showed a photo that looked exactly like what I found on our 190 Nantucket. Interesting fact in article was that the concern is usually caused by unsupported hoses that connect to the thru-hulls. I have since put supports on the hoses in our vessel.

M

Boat Photos

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:58 pm

I am going to replace the motor well and live well thru hull fittings. What is indeed the correct part number for the live well fitting and what is the cost?
Thanks!
Michael

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:23 pm

I am going to replace both engine splash well and the transom live well thru-hull fittings on my 2003 190 Nantucket.

Are there any special directives on how to [replace these thru-hull fittings] other than what has already stated on this thread?

Also, are these parts easy to remove?

Thanks

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:07 pm

I suggest: contact Boston Whaler customer service for advice on repair, OEM part numbers, dealer prices. There is a recorded presentation on YouTube made by Boston Whaler that demonstrates the procedure. (Normally I would give you the link but I am on the end of a long and slow link to the net today.)

Ok—try this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zby76eoKO-I

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks Jim. Excellent video.
Well I took out most of the thru hulls and guess what I found?
Rotten wood around the starboard side motor well thru hull! It goes about an inch and a half around the hole.
All others seem fine. The transom seems very strong.
I am bummed out and kinda mad but it is what it is.
I've been googling options and any recommendations would be appreciated. Git Rot or Smiths penetrating epoxy perhaps?
Thanks!

InVision

Postby InVision » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Man what a bummer. I replace ours and it was a PIA but solid with no rot. Again I just found because of another member posting this thread.

Goodluck.

I have heard of folks digging out small areas of rot and injecting with epoxy.

M

Boat Photos

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:59 pm

This is an interesting thread and should be renamed and easily found, as it pertains to a lot of boats in addition to Boston Whaler.
Someone at our marina hit a log last week. The shock caused the deck drain fitting to break, letting water into the (Hydrasport) boat and almost sinking it. They filled the hull (back on the trailer) up to the deck with water from the hose to find the broken fitting.
I never even gave it a thought until I read this and will now check mine tomorrow.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm

I have to admit that I am so disappointed and a bit miffed at Boston Whaler. Putting cheap wood in the most important part of the hull and then putting cheap plastic thru hull fittings with NO SEALANT is inexcusable for a top line boat.
Will probably coast thousands to repair. Just not right
If you own a 190 Nantucket or Outrage please check your thru hull fittings

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Well I spoke with Chuck Bennett today (very nice and helpful) and he suggested that I remove any damaged wood and then fill in with Polyester resin added with microfibers or micro balloons. Will that be better than epoxy resin? I’m not that knowledgeable on these types of products.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:19 am

I have to have a complete transom rebuild [on a c.2003 Boston Whaler 190 NANTUCKET]. This will be done at a substantial cost.

I had two boat fiberglass experts look at [the wet and rot in the embedded plywood in the 190 NANTUCKET transom], and they both said the same thing: you could quick-fix it as Chuck suggested, but they believe the rotten wood is more widespread than thought. Complete rebuild is the only way to be sure.

The strange thing is it started around a motor well thru-hull, an area that is not submerged and gets minimal water pass-through compared to other thru-hull fittings.

The person doing [the repair work on the 190 NANTUCKET transom] is highly recommended. Later, I found out he is the one who does warranty work for the area Boston Whaler dealership. He was very critical of Boston Whaler and other high-end boat manufacturers for the way they save manufacturing costs these days. He says he gets calls on brand-new boats all the time.

One thing everybody I talked to said: they never heard of this on this hull. I guess I get the “tallest midget” award.

I love Boston Whalers —and this is my third one—but I have to say I’m disappointed and soon to be a bit poorer.

If your Whaler has plastic thru hull fittings, I s strongly suggest to get them checked immediately, especially if [the hull] warranty [has ended].

I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:12 am

Michael,

I would not replace the entire transom wood. There are a couple of reasons I would go with Chuck Bennett's recommendation. It is easy and relatively inexpensive to do AND that through hull fitting is above the waterline. It only gets wet when the boat is in use, being washed or in wet weather. The fitting is easy to seal after the repair.

After my own few experiences with fiberglass shops I've learned they are in business to make money. They are inclined by nature to exaggerate the need for the most expensive approach. In a way, that's a justified approach because it's less likely to result in any dissatisfaction. And, of course, it puts more money in their pockets.

I doubt that Mr Bennett would recommend a course of action that would lead to further dissatisfaction from a Boston Whaler owner. His goal is happy owners.

I was sorry to read about your problem and hope for a quick, inexpensive, reliable solution. I will be checking the through hulls on our 190 Montauk. The transom arrangement is very similar to yours.
Butch

InVision

Postby InVision » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:19 am

I inspect our cheap plastic thru-hull fittings every couple of months. I found that the ones on the Nantucket that go bad first are the ones below the starboard side rear seat. IMHO - The reason is that they have unsupported rubber hoses which tend to bounce around and put extra pressure on the thru hulls. Needless to say mine are now supported.

M

Boat Photos

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Butch--How I wish I could go with Chuck's recommendation, but the experts who looked at [my boat] are friends with no monetary interest. We found rotten wood under the engine mounts by use of a flexible plastic "drain weasel."

If [the damage were] in the lower corner of the transom I would go with the quick fix, but when the engine area is compromised only way to be sure [of a proper repair] is the route I'm going.

That said, the fiberglass is so thick in the transom it probably would hold, but over time it could break down. I'll never know why Whaler went with plywood over composite non-rot product.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:42 am

Michael--I understand. Good luck.
Butch

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:05 pm

I ordered some new thru-hull fittings through Boston Whaler. One came in its original Perko packaging. Interesting that is says “five year warranty” on the package. Whaler has a ten year warranty on their hulls.

If you have a Boston Whaler with plastic thru-hull fittings that are over five years old, I recommend you check for water intrusion.
Last edited by Masbama on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:13 pm

This thread scared the hell out of me, so I went and inspected all the through-hulls on my 2003 160 Dauntless. The large cockpit drains were fine and the bilge pump outlet seems fine, but both the motor well drains and the bilge drain were loose. One I could pull out with my fingers, the others needed a pair of pliers but came right out. The transom plywood was wet in all three, but not soft. After a weekend in the open, the wood was bone dry so clearly there was no significant water penetration. This weekend I replaced all three, though I had a hard time finding the correct part. I bought some Sea Dog drains that turned out to be the wrong size (that was me misinterpreting the specs), then I got some T-H Marine drains of the snap-together type. They are pretty close, but the flanges are a little smaller than the originals. I decided not to worry about it, but next time I think I'd get them directly from Whaler.

I followed the YouTube procedure, including a liberal coating of 4200 on the plywood, and everything went back together smoothly. I also used a custom clamp (two plywood disks on a threaded rod) to snug them up while the sealant set. Thanks for the tip, folks! I'm feeling good that I caught these before any damage was done.

-Bob
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 am

Even if the plastic through hulls are okay, I would consider removing them, coating the hole in epoxy and then re-installing the hardware with marine sealant.

A good fall project.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:32 am

Phil T wrote:Even if the plastic through hulls are okay, I would consider removing them, coating the hole in epoxy and then re-installing the hardware with marine sealant..

Yes, that's certainly a good idea even for the "good" through-hulls.

Really, the quality of these boats, while perhaps imperfect, is astonishing. I have a 15- year-old boat, and with minor ongoing maintenance, it still looks and operates like brand new. You don't get that with just any boat. I've seen younger Bayliners in the scrap pile.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:44 pm

I agree except for the noted transom thru hull fittings.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Just an update: spoke with my repair guy today and he said he found a one square foot section of rotten wood on the transom. He said that it would have eventually spread. It was under the motor well thru hulls which is close to the engine mounts. He is prepping the composite replacement board and then start the rebuild process.

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:48 pm

GoldenDaze wrote:This thread scared the hell out of me, so I went and inspected all the through-hulls on my 2003 160 Dauntless. The large cockpit drains were fine and the bilge pump outlet seems fine

The large cockpit drains were definitely NOT fine. Both of the L-flange fittings at the back of the cockpit were loose, and one was cracked. One of the transom through-hulls (with the flapper valve) was cracked and leaking water into the bilge. The other actually was fine, as was the bilge pump fitting. So, more parts on the way.

Nap19

Postby Nap19 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks to previous posts and the info provided.

[My 2005 190 Nantucket boat] was having water intrusion problems into bilge. I started checking the fittings on my 2005 190 Nantucket, and--sure enough--there was damage. So far I have replaced two [fittings].

A big thanks to Sue at Twin Cities marine for help on getting the fittings, she works very to hard to get you the right part.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:37 pm

The modification is nearing completion. Here is a pic of the wood in the transom.

1ctiZZeXsjdwRjL6mdIyAcvlCjoj3n0dpZFxOuov7aAeJxFPc.jpeg
1ctiZZeXsjdwRjL6mdIyAcvlCjoj3n0dpZFxOuov7aAeJxFPc.jpeg (146.34 KiB) Viewed 25799 times

Nantucket owners: your transom looks like this. The dark wood had the consistency of raw fish. The rest was okay. The engine was mounted where the rot was.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:43 pm

Here is the composite, no rot board

RJK-NfPX8BHzKRsZOZpncKekNPLBsgGjJcWZcT6ggm0eJxFPc.jpeg
RJK-NfPX8BHzKRsZOZpncKekNPLBsgGjJcWZcT6ggm0eJxFPc.jpeg (127.02 KiB) Viewed 25798 times

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:47 pm

The fiberglass work in progress.

MmTvZl3-pNb363PCJoUJArKowTbJ_4sFc1Cj8lzHri4eJxFPc.jpg
MmTvZl3-pNb363PCJoUJArKowTbJ_4sFc1Cj8lzHri4eJxFPc.jpg (160.62 KiB) Viewed 25797 times

Had Boston Whaler used composite board, then this would not have happened.

Check your boat’s through-hull fittings.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:00 am

The rot looks like it was associated with the engine and its mounting bolts which allowed water to enter the transom and rot the wood.

How did you conclude that the cause of the rot in the area of the engine mounting bracket was due to a through-hull fitting that was probably mounted at the waterline?

Was the engine on this boat installed at the factory?

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Yes [Jim’s observation] that [“The rot looks like it was associated with the engine and its mounting bolts which allowed water to enter the transom and rot the wood,”] is entirely possible, but I will say that the engine was mounted correctly; tight and with plenty of sealant.

The starboard side engine splashwell thru-hull was another story. It came apart very easily with no visible signs of sealant. It was confirmed that water entered through this area.

A theory was laid out that maybe one of the previous owners (I’m the third) kept the boat outside and uncovered. Rain would fill the motor well and perhaps leaves would clog the hole so that water would seep in at the thru hull.

It also is my personal opinion that Boston Whaler was aware of thru hull [leaks] and put out that video. It is interesting to me that the narrator really seems to stress the use of copious amounts of sealant.

Entries by other CW members in this thread confirm that there is a need to continually check the thru hull fittings, especially in the transom.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:38 am

Masbama wrote:...my personal opinion [is] ...Boston Whaler was aware of thru hull [leaks] and put out that video.

There is little doubt that Boston Whaler created the recorded presentation and uploaded it to YouTube.

To make the inference about the motivation for the creation and posting of the video is more speculative. I would suspect the motivation for the video might have been to inform owners about the specialized tools and the recommended method for the repair, and explicitly recommend having the work done by an authorized dealer. Its creation may have been in response to many inquiries about how the thru-hull should be serviced.

Boston Whaler hulls are covered by a ten-year warranty, but owner modifications or owner neglect is likely not covered.

It would be more interesting and far less speculative to learn if there are any owners of a Boston Whaler boat from this same production epoch that were given a no-cost repair of a leaking thru-hull under the hull warranty. If anyone can speak authoritatively on that, please do so,

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:21 pm

My [c.2003 Boston Whaler 190 NANTUCKET] boat's transom repair is all but done. Composite no-rot board was used. The swim platform was attached with thru-hull stainless hardware for a stronger fit. I hope to get the boat back this weekend. It’s been a while.

repairedTransom_.jpg
Repaired transom on 2003 Boston Whaler 190 NANTUCKET
repairedTransom_.jpg (45.48 KiB) Viewed 9937 times

[A image of the repaired transom with other elements of the boat in the frame can also be found at:]
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/jEDgGSuXZCbuAB1GTTVTopUaraZGs6dEdyKq1Mda1SU/KpNQlDziQtyYX5z6jilV0w?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&mgh=1

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:48 pm

I'm sorry for what you had to go through, but the repair looks like nice work.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:06 am

Believe me; it looks even better in person. He said the transom will out live the rest of the boat and I believe him. He has been doing this for 40 years. The story he has told about different boat manufacturers was fascinating.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:54 am

Not sure if they carry the exact OEM thru hulls but here are Whaler thru hulls

http://www.nausetmarine.com/boston-whaler-parts/

This is completely my opinion but my thoughts are that Whaler went to plastic on the thru hulls because of corrosion. Bronze thru hulls must be bonded to the boats bonding system. If not they will corrode away. If the boat is stored in the water at a dock with local stay current the metal thru hulls can corrode away even if bonded correctly. No worries with plastic. Maybe they should have used a better quality of plastic. They even make plastic thru hulls with stainless exterior covers so they look better for this reason. This is all in Whalers defense but there is no excuse for them breaking and compromising the hull and transom. Bronze thru hull corroding and breaking have been the cause of many boat docking sinkings (of course non Whaler).

I would bond those bronze thru hulls.
Archie

Spc337

Postby Spc337 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:25 am

What was the product name for the no-rot board? I may have to do some deck repair on an older Outrage. Most of the Marine Ply is in good shape and I had intended to add Epoxy around the edges to ensure it is well sealed but found one area that felt like more attention may be needed. Luckily, it sits on another section of deck so it would never be "soft" so make the epoxy is fine for years to come. I'd rather not have to cut out the section and rebuild it if I can avoid.
Boston Whaler 1979 V-22 Outrage