Bow Rail Rod Holders

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
InVision

Bow Rail Rod Holders

Postby InVision » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 am

I am sure most members have notice that one thing that seemed to be missing on the 190 Nantucket was bow rod holders. I wanted to add a couple and found these on Amazon for $42 a pair. Was very surprised how high quality they were for that price. Install in minutes. Added some Locktite to screws to keep the bolts tight. Also installed them where they would not interfere with the new cover we purchased

M

IMG_7679.JPG
IMG_7679.JPG (81.03 KiB) Viewed 5051 times

IMG_7678.JPG
IMG_7678.JPG (93.57 KiB) Viewed 5051 times

IMG_7676.JPG
IMG_7676.JPG (103.67 KiB) Viewed 5051 times
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

Jefecinco

Re: Bow Rail Rod Holders

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:52 am

Very similar rod holders are frequently on sale at West Marine stores. The Loctite was a smart move. It's useful to prevent loosening of both the mounting screws and the underlying set screw used to adjust the mounting angle. The bow rail, in particular, seems to vibrate excessively.
Butch

tahoewhaler

Postby tahoewhaler » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi,
I mounted similar ones to the top rail with a small piece of bicycle tubing arounf the rail. This allows the rod holder to be mounted tight enough and also to be able to spin it around the rail for optimum angle without scratching up the rail.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:41 pm

One of the nice things about rail mounted rod holders is that you can keep a line in the water and continue to fish while you sit down to enjoy lunch or do something other than hold on to your rod. If a large fish strikes your line while the rod is in the holder and your drag is set to a fairly tight setting you can easily lose a good rod and reel if the rod holder will swivel on the railing.

I keep my rod holder tight and set at an angle that works well, if not perfectly, all the time.
Butch

tahoewhaler

Postby tahoewhaler » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:48 pm

I agree. However, I had a buddy that didn't like the particular angle that I did. I (probably foolishly) allowed him to loosen the holder and adjust to where he liked it. If you don't loosen enough before rotating, it will likely leave a scratch. The rubber between the two surfaces prevents the scratching and actually provides a much 'stickier' mount. They sure look nice though!

tahoewhaler

Postby tahoewhaler » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:01 pm

I should clarify that the holder angle was changed for a trolling application from the bow of my 13 and not static fishing...

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:44 am

I agree that the rail mounted rod holders look good. Mine are West Marine brand but I believe they are now selling the same rod holder made by Attwood and so branded. I believe they may now be on sale from West for a hair less than 50% off, a good buy in my opinion.

A good method to avoid the loss of a fishing rig from a rod holder is to wrap a bungee cord around the rod holder mount and the rod above the reel.
Butch