General Winterizing and Storage

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Tacky79

General Winterizing and Storage

Postby Tacky79 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:37 pm

The weather forecast looks like we are about done boating for the season here in Colorado, so I'll be winterizing the engine this weekend. It's a new 150 Mercury on my 190 Montauk. I have a few questions:

I'm changing oil, oil filter, fuel filter, lower unit gear oil, and putting fuel stabilizer in [the fuel tank]. I bought some Mercury Quickstor and will treat the fuel with that. I also bought some Mercury Storage Seal fogging spray that I guess I spray in the intake, then in each spark plug hole. Did I miss anything?

I originally planned to store the boat outside and covered, but might spring to store it inside. It's about $120-per-month for inside storage, so about $720 for the winter. Not terrible, but is it worth it?
2017 Boston Whaler Montauk 190 w/ 150 Merc/Fish Pkg/Bowrail delete/aft seating
1979 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 sailboat with sails and a tiller :D

jimh

Re: General Winterizing and Storage

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Be sure to run the engine after you add fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank. This gets the stabilized fuel into the engine fuel system. Since these modern engines do not consume much fuel at idle speed, it is better to add the stabilizer to the fuel tank before you haul the boat for the season, and run the engine at higher RPM on the water with the stabilized fuel. With a flow rate at idle of maybe 0.5-GPH or less, you will have to let the engine run at idle for a while to get the stabilized fuel into the engine. Downstream of the fuel tank there is often a canister fuel filter that can hold a lot of fuel; that fuel has to be pushed out and consumed in the engine before the stabilized fuel gets to the engine.

Tacky79

Postby Tacky79 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:32 pm

I did the winterization today:

I tried to run the engine (150 Merc) in a large tub, but it was too shallow, so I ended up cutting a 55 gallon drum and filling that about 3/4 to run the engine. I don't have muffs, and WalMart didn't have any in stock!

I changed the oil after running the engine for 10 minutes, so the oil was nice and warm. Used synthetic Merc oil.

I changed the lower unit lube oil - took a long time to drain, but it was easy to change (after removing prop).

I squirted the Mercury Storage Seal into each spark plug hole, then rotated the engine using the big nut on top to distribute the oil.

Overall, it took about 4 hours, figuring things out, and doing other jobs around the garage. I could probably get it done in 2 hours next year.

Cost for parts, filters, oil/lube was right at $150.

wamair

Postby wamair » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:44 pm

On my REVENGE with a 1996 Evinrude 200 I winterize as follows:

--drain all the gasoline
--run the 200 and Honda 15-HP until they quit
--add 5-gallon of aviation gasoline 100ll to the tank (Aviation gasoline does not break down like auto fuel and does not produce varnish)
--run both engines
--do fogging routine.

I do the same with my lawn mowers, chain saws, and anything that sets for a long period of time. I never have fuel problems in the spring. Fuel stabilizer works okay, but with today's fuel you don't know what you getting.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:13 am

I stored my boats outside in Maine for 10 years. Never a problem, even with temps well below zero.

Personally, I would not bother with heated storage. To me that is similar to someone who would haul their boat out to keep it dry.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Tacky79

Postby Tacky79 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 am

I ended up storing [the 2017 Boston Whaler Montauk 190] at a big RV and boat storage facility, indoor, but not heated. [Off-site storage] gets [the boat] out of my driveway, keeps [the boat away] from snow and sun wear-and-tear, and keeps me from wishing I was boating.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:46 am

My routine for preparing my boat for storage over the winter is as follows:

The outboard engine, a 2010 E-TEC 225-HP, is prepared for a long winter layup:

--add the manufacturer's recommended fuel stabilizer product to the fuel tank, Evinrude 2+4C fuel conditioner, at the recommended ratio
--run the engine at normal operating speeds, well above idle speed, for at least 30-minutes so that the stabilized fuel has circulated throughout the fuel system
--at the launch ramp, with the engine warm from normal operation, perform the winterization procedure; the E-TEC engine runs this procedure under its own control, then shuts off the engine; the engine is then properly oiled for long-term storage
--haul the boat from the water onto the trailer
--give the engine cowling, midsection, and gearcase a thorough inspection and cleaning
--remove the engine cowling; give the power head and all under-cowling components a thorough inspection
--spray power head with fine mist of Evinrude D.P.L (Dries, Protects, Lubricates) aerosol product
--top off both batteries with on-board, permanently installed 120-VAC-operated charger; this usually takes only about 30-minutes

Next comes the preparation of the boat for storage:

--the boat is given a bit of cleaning
--the chart plotter and radio are removed to be stored indoors
--the weather canvas is removed to be stored indoors
--the mooring cover is removed to be stored indoor
--miscellaneous gear is removed to be stored indoors
--the heavy canvas storage cover is installed

Then the trailer is prepared for storage:

--the tire pressure is checked and tires inflated to just below maximum pressure
--the trailer is inspected for any sign of problems that will need attention in the Spring

The gasoline fuel that was used during the summer was almost 100-percent non-ethanol gasoline. For long-term storage I usually add more non-ethanol 90-Octane pure gasoline to the fuel tank, with appropriate fuel stabilizer, to bring the tank level to above half-full, which means the tank will have about 40 to 45-gallons of fuel.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:03 am

Section 5.7 of the Montauk 170 Owners Manual gives a good comprehensive list of task to complete for winterization.

http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/170-Montauk-Owners-Manual-2017.pdf
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

InVision

Postby InVision » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:39 am

Sometimes I wish we could winterize here in the panhandle of Florida. Trouble is every time you winterize the weather takes a change from cold to great boating weather and you have to end up winterize several times. We just try to run boat every few weeks when the weather is right to keep systems at peek performance. Winter fishing sometimes surprises you how good it is and not 1000s of crazy boat operators about.

M
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos