190 Nantucket Speedometer Pickup

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
InVision

190 Nantucket Speedometer Pickup

Postby InVision » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:22 pm

Yesterday I notice the speedometer [on a 2004 Boston Whaler 190 NANTUCKET] was not working. I looked at the pickup and I think I it is missing the paddle wheel. The rest is all there, I think. [Do readers have] any thoughts or photos to share?

M
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

Jefecinco

Re: Nantucket Speedometer Pickup

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:08 pm

If you have SmartCraft connected to your multi-function display, the paddle wheel speedometer is not very useful. It is also notoriously inaccurate although with SmartCraft and a GPS it can be calibrated for accuracy at the speed you use to calibrate. It will probably lack accuracy at other speeds.

A paddle wheel speedometer can serve as a backup to your more accurate GPS reading. If it matters to you the paddle wheel assembly can be replaced. If you replace it be sure to seal the mounting screw holes well.

If I remember correctly SmartCraft gives you the option of using your GPS or the paddle wheel for input.
Butch

jimh

Re: 190 Nantucket Speedometer Pickup

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Give more information about the "speedometer." Is it a part of the Smartcraft gauge package? Is the speedometer reading speed over ground or speed through the water?

Sorry, but I don't have a picture of the speedometer pickup on your boat. Maybe you can post one.

Divin'Ivan

Postby Divin'Ivan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:55 pm

ok, not the best picture because it is covered by the tie-down, but there is a little wheel on the speedo pickup of the smart craft gauges as you can see. If you need a better picture let me know.

Current boat - 2018 270 Dauntless, Twin Mercury 225 Verado
Previous boat - 2013 190 Outrage, Mercury 150 EFI - SOLD

InVision

Postby InVision » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Yes we have SmartCraft. I will take a photo tomorrow.

Thank you

M

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:10 pm

A paddlewheel speed transducer will look like this:

paddleWheelSpeedTransduer.jpg
paddleWheelSpeedTransduer.jpg (16.61 KiB) Viewed 5155 times

InVision

Postby InVision » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:19 am

Divin'Ivan wrote:ok, not the best picture because it is covered by the tie-down, but there is a little wheel on the speedo pickup of the smart craft gauges as you can see. If you need a better picture let me know.

Mine looks like the one under the strap. It has 2 pieces, the mount and the paddle wheel sensor, but no paddle wheel in the sensor. Parts 4 & 5 are missing.

speed-sensor.jpg
speed-sensor.jpg (69.97 KiB) Viewed 5148 times

M

Boat Photos

InVision

Re: Nantucket Speedometer Pickup

Postby InVision » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:39 am

Jefecinco wrote:If you have SmartCraft connected to your multi-function display... If I remember correctly SmartCraft gives you the option of using your GPS or the paddle wheel for input.

This I would be very interested in knowing how to wire to GPS to get speed reading.

By the way the water temp part of the paddle wheel sensor still works fine.

M

Boat Photos

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:21 am

M - There is a web site dedicated to Verado engine matters. There is a charge for membership but anyone can lurk on the site without joining. I lurk there because I find a lot of useful Verado information in the public access areas which include a "Library". The site also has a lot of SmartCraft information because almost all Verado powered boats are equipped with SmartCraft. You can find the information needed to connect your SmartCraft system with your GPS at veradoclub.com by searching the site. I believe a free SmartCraft manual can be downloaded from the site or via a URL found on the site.

The paddle wheel sensor provides speed through the water information. Calibration, actually adjustment, can be done via the SmartCraft Gauge.
Butch