Installing Crab Davit

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
whalerpaul

Installing Crab Davit

Postby whalerpaul » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:36 pm

I'm installing a crab davit on my 1987 18' Outrage and would like any advice available. It is held in place by a bracket on the floor that has a circular section of schedule 80 aluminum pipe that the davit slides into and also by a bracket (with pipe through section) attached to the gunwale.; I plan on using qty 4 stainless 1/4" screws in the floor bracket. I need to know how long the bolts should be to hold well yet not go too deeply into the floor ( is there anything to avoid by the gunwales?).

For the bracket on the gunwale, I will probably drill through the vertical portion and install 1/4" bolts with fiber nuts. It could also be done by using a right angle bracket and installing the bolts in the top of the gunwale. Any preference there?

The davit will extend on an arc 36" or so from the boat and pull up pots that could get as heavy as 60 -100 pounds. (28 keeper dungeness in a past pull).

Thanks in advance for any help. I searched for davit install info, but didn't find any.

paul

jimh

Re: Installing Crab Davit

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:17 pm

Enter this search term at GOOGLE: site:continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3 crab pot puller

You get about seven results from prior discussions on this topic.

This link may work if there isn't some expired session data in it.