Re-power for our Nantucket 190

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
InVision

Re-power for our Nantucket 190

Postby InVision » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:46 am

We currently have the original Optimax 150-HP engine on our 2004 Nantucket 190. Although the engine has only 192 hours, we are not fond of the smell of oil or the noise. The boat condition was pristine, and was purchased with the thought of putting a 150-HP four-stroke-power-cycle engine replacement since we did not like the two-stroke characteristics. I am considering all motor brands but if I go with a Mercury the thought is we would save money by using the original controls. Quiet operation and no smoke smell are our goals. Interestingly enough we have some folks interested in buying the Optimax 150-HP, which would help pay for re-power.

Found some data on noise from various brands on the internet. I know Jim published excerpts from a Powerboat Report article--which seemed to confuse us even more :-(.

Our original thought was to use a Verado 150 but as we all know they are not made anymore and the Nantucket 190 maximum power is 150-HP. Also some reading on the new E-TEC G2 HO seemed like a good candidate but it is a two-stroke so we are nervous about the noise and smell.

So it seems we are somewhat stuck on what to do:

--re-power with Mercury 150 FOURSTROKE
    --re-power with another brand 150
    --keep as-is with loud and smelly Optimax
    --sell Nantucket as she is and look for another newer model with a four-stroke
    --?????

Would love to hear members thoughts especially those who may have re-powered their Boston Whaler.

M
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

jimh

Re: Re-power for our Nantucket 190

Postby jimh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:45 am

I will offer a few remarks on the basis that I qualify because I have met the criterion of having re-powered a Boston Whaler boat.

If your present outboard engine is running and working well, there is no possible economic incentive to replacing it with a new engine. You will never recoup the cost of the new engine in any actual savings from reduced operating expenses. This is particularly true for a modern two-stroke-power-cycle direct-injection engine like the OptiMax. That engine gets good fuel economy. There won't be any real chance to save operating expenses by using less fuel.

The objections to you have to the OptiMax are the noise and smell. The noise of the OptiMax is noticeably greater at idle and very low speeds. There is no workaround for that noise. You cannot bolt-on reduced noise; it has to be designed into the engine. If you keep the OptiMax, is will be noisier than other engines, particularly at idle speeds.

The objection to the smell may be possible to remedy. What oil are you using in the OptiMax? Try the Mercury-branded, premium, recommended oil for that engine. It is probably a low-ash, semi-synthetic oil blend. It may burn cleaner and produce less exhaust smell.

Note that all outboard engines have an idle exhaust bypass system that permits the engine exhaust at idle RPM and very low boat speed RPM to exit the engine directly into the air. Once the boat speed increases, the engine exhaust is mostly directed to an underwater exit, and you should not be able to smell it.

The only time I can smell the exhaust of my outboard engine is when the boat happens to be on a course that is directly downwind, the boat speed is very slow, and the exhaust from the idle exhaust bypass is being blown by the wind into the cockpit. This does happen on rare occasions. But you will get the same situation with a four-stroke-power-cycle engine; you will be sniffing its exhaust, too.

The exhaust smell in a two-stroke-power-cycle engine is a result of the eventual combustion of the lubricating oil in the cylinders. The smell produced varies with the type of oil. On my boat, I use a nearly full-synthetic premium oil that burns with very little ash and leaves behind very little deposits. It does have an odor, as I can smell it when we are in that downwind situation. But it is not an overpowering odor--it is mostly the combustion exhaust that I can smell, not so much the oil smell. Also, with my engine (legacy E-TEC V6 3.3-liter) I have the option to select a lower oiling rate if I exclusively use the premium oil. I have selected that optional lower oil rate, and my engine has less oil to burn than at the usual 1:50 oil-gasoline ratio used in many two-stroke-power-cycle engines.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:51 am

If you decide to re-power, the easiest and least expensive re-fit may be the Mercury 150-HP FOURSTROKE (not VERADO). That engine should be able to be fitted to much of your existing rigging, instrumentation, steering, wiring, and controls. The re-use of all the boat's existing engine rigging will save money. The propeller may even be re-usable.

Changing brands will require an added investment in new rigging; this discourages brand change.

What about buying a used 150 VERADO FOURSTROKE?

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:57 am

Having a buyer for your existing engine is a great plus in any re-power situation. When I re-powered by Boston Whaler boat, the deciding factor was the appearance of a buyer who made an acceptable offer to purchase my existing engine. My existing engine was in excellent condition, had been well maintained, was cosmetically perfect, and was, in my opinion, a bargain at the eventual selling price. But the several thousand dollars from the sale were an important offset to the cost of a new engine.

If you have a buyer in hand with a firm offer for your Mercury 150 OptiMax, and the offer is a reasonable one, give careful consideration to the opportunity.

In my situation, I had to wait many months for a buyer to appear.

InVision

Postby InVision » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks Jim. I am using premium Mercury DFI oil, and it is expensive. Our planned re-power budget was up to $11,000. I found a Mercury authorized dealer that will put on a new Mercury 150 FOURSTORE and the conversion cable to run the SmartCraft instruments for $10,500, complete. The used Optimax can bring $3,000 to $4,000 running, based on sells I have found on THT and Boatrader.

If I re-power I would like to a new motor during one of those times they offer it with an extended warranty of five year or more.

M
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:07 pm

I have a Suzuki 140hp on my 2003 Nantucket. It does fine but 150 would do even better. The price, weight and performance of the Mercury would be hard to beat.

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:45 pm

You want real good advice? Sell the 190 NANTUCKET with OptiMax and buy a way better boat: a 2002 to 2008 210 OUTRAGE.

You can find c2005 to c.2007 210 OUTRAGE boats for under or around $30,000 with a Mercury VERADO FOURSTROKE. As good as the 190 hull is, it is no where as good as the 210.

I was in awe how good the ride on that stealth-looking hull was the very first time. After having dozens and dozens of Boston Whaler boats, the 210 OUTRAGE is still my all-time-favorite Whaler: just incredible boat.

A 190 NANTUCKET will sell quickly--at least it will here in Jersey. My last 190 sold in a few days a couple weeks ago. Demand for [the 190 NANTUCKET] is strong.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:34 am

If you can get a buyer to give you $4,000 for the OptiMax 150, I would take that offer.

Divin'Ivan

Postby Divin'Ivan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 pm

All I can say is the Mercury 150 FourStroke that is on my 190 Outrage is a great motor. It's quiet, no smell, and great performance. I can still hit 50 mph by myself on a flat day and maintenance is super easy to do on my driveway.
Current boat - 2018 270 Dauntless, Twin Mercury 225 Verado
Previous boat - 2013 190 Outrage, Mercury 150 EFI - SOLD