1985 SUPER SPORT 13: Wood Coating

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Hobie16

1985 SUPER SPORT 13: Wood Coating

Postby Hobie16 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:28 pm

I have purchased a 1985 SUPER SPORT 13 as a winter project. I have started by disassembling the wood- all of which needs repaired and in some cases replaced. The plan is to sand down all the wood and apply three coats of West System followed by three coats of varnish.

Do I apply the West System before reassembling the the helm and storage box or after all wood is reassembled?

[Nota Bene: do not post topics which solicit advice on making repairs or modifications to classic Boston Whaler boats to the INTRODUCTION forum. The INTRODUCTION forum is an introduction to the forum, and it has NO boating topics. Your initial posting has been moved to REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS for discussion. --jimh]

jimh

Re: 1985 SUPER SPORT 13: Wood Coating

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 pm

If you want to be able in the future to disassemble the wooden components of the interior, then I think you want to apply the WEST System epoxy coating (and the varnish) to the wood before you assemble the wooden components into a new single structure.

dtmackey

Re: 1985 SUPER SPORT 13: Wood Coating

Postby dtmackey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:56 pm

Just got through that same thing with my interior, but I built from scratch.

- Epoxy, use West 105 and 207 clear hardener. 207 does not have the blush problems of the other hardeners and also cures bubble free and does not have as much of an amber to it. I will say that I did my seats 3 coats with the first thinner with acetone so it would saturate into the wood and it really "build" on the wood, but it made the wood darker than I wanted, even with 5-6 coats of Epafanes on it. I decided to just use Epafanes on the rest of the interior - about 10 coats and it looks great.

- Do any epoxy or varnish disassembled if possible. It makes brush stroke mush easier and prevents corner puddles.

My previous Whaler I would remove the interior to varnish as it comes out far better and no risk of drips in the boat.

D-