Yamaha F70 Cost of Routine Maintenance and Service

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
El Rollo

Yamaha F70 Cost of Routine Maintenance and Service

Postby El Rollo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:55 am

I would like to offer further insight into the Yamaha F70, after just getting mine back this week from an authorized Yamaha service center for a 100 hour service. Let me start by saying that this was only the second 100 hour service I've had done on the motor (which I use primarily in saltwater). There is approximately 250 hours now on the motor, which I purchased new. I would say that at least 75% of my operating hours are below on-plane speeds, with VERY little hours spent at the upper RPM range of the motor.

The boat is kept on the trailer, and I ALWAYS flush the the motor out with freshwater per Yamaha guidelines within 10 minutes of putting it back on the trailer. I also perform a 'Salt-Away' flush to the motor a minimum of every 3rd outing. The boat is stored outside, and kept under a boat cover and under a tent.

The recent 100 hour service included the following:

Complete water pump kit and lower unit gear lube change.
    New oil filter and crankcase oil change.
    4 new spark plugs.
    2 new Yamaha fuel filters
    1 new Racor water separating fuel filter replacement
    1 new zinc anode torque tab
    1 new 'anode' (not sure of the location)
    1 new thermostat, gasket, and cover. (I was shocked at how corroded the original thermostat was)
    1 new Yamaha remote water pressure sensor (this is an optional Yamaha factory part that failed after only 250 hours) the part was $200.
    Greased all zirc fittings
    Lube propshaft
    Spray corrosion guard to powerhead

The total cost for parts and service was $838.

I share this with the original poster, (or anyone else who may be considering a re-power with a Yamaha F70) so as to be prepared for what I consider some very expensive ownership costs. Yes, I understand that there was a $200 Yamaha water pressure sensor part included in the bill, but this was a cost I was not prepared for.

This does not change the way I feel about the motor itself, and in the future I will be performing as many of the services listed above as I am capable.

I will say however, had I known how much the service, and cost of ownership, would be on the Yamaha F70, and had our local Evinrude dealer not gone out of business, I would taken a much stronger look at the Evinrude E-Tec 60.

In doing some very crude math, and considering the nature of how things have worn, and or have corroded on the Yamaha F70, I have reached the following conclusion. If I continue to service and care for my Yamaha F70 reasonably close to Yamaha's recommended guidelines, (and the motor lasts for the hours I think it should), I will have spent approximately twice the cost of the original purchase price of the engine itself in service costs! This may not sound like much to some people, and this may be a standard cost of outboard motor ownership. However, I also own a 1986 Boston Whaler 18 Outrage with a 115 HP Evinrude E-TEC. The service costs on that motor are much less at the dealership, and they are only every 300 hours, versus Yamaha's recommended 100 hours for the F70 4-stroke, Yes, I know, there is the cost of two stroke oil. But my Evinrude 115 E-TEC is programed for XD-100 synthetic oil (which I use very little of), and I purchase it in bulk, so the operation and service costs are still MUCH less on the Evinrude ,and for a MUCH BIGGER engine !

I am not trying to discourage anyone from purchasing a Yamaha F70 outboard, I am extremely happy with how it runs, and also how it performs on my 1988 Boston Whaler 15. I would however recommend looking into cost of ownership, and also consider the frequency at which the Yamaha F70 needs to be serviced. You may also want to take note of the distance to your closest Yamaha dealer, as you may be going there more than anticipated.

In my opinion the Yamaha F70 is a great motor, but very expensive to own considering it is only 70 horsepower. It is also a very 'advanced' motor with many moving parts and a complex electrical system, all of which require good and proper maintenance.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by El Rollo on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PJMSport15MY1984

Re: Yamaha F70 Cost of Routine Maintenance and Service

Postby PJMSport15MY1984 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:08 pm

El Rollo--your analysis of the Yamaha F70 is extremely informative. I need to repower our classic sport 15, and the Yamaha F70 is one of the outboards I am strongly considering. --Paul

conch

Postby conch » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:21 pm

El Rollo--can you break out your bill and tell us how much was for parts and how much for labor? Thanks--Chuck

El Rollo

Re: SPORT 15: Yamaha 70 Two-stroke v. F70

Postby El Rollo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:37 am

This is how it's broken down on the two-page invoice:

Water Pump Repair Kit - $94.20
Labor $130.00
Shop Supplies $2.60
Job Subtotal $226.80

100 Hour Service
Element Filter- $21.65
Anode - $10.75
Tab-Trim - $23.60
3 0z. Grease - $4.25
Gasket - $2.30
10W 30 Marine Oil FC - $21.05
Strainer 1 - $24.75
LKR7E NGK S Plug 10 P - $24.75
Element only for 120RRACO1 - $21.99

Total $157.59
Labor $162.50
Shop Supplies $3.25
Disposal Fee $3.00
Job Subtotal $326.34

Thermostat $40.75
Gasket, Cover $5.90
Job Subtotal $46.65

Sensor, Water Pressure - $200.00

Job Misc. Item Subtotal $8.85

Tax $39.087

Total $838.88
Last edited by El Rollo on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:02 am

'ROLLO--thanks for the details on the cost of routine service for your Yamaha F70 engine. The only particularly non-routine item appears to be the $200 replacement sensor.

As for in the future doing some of the work yourself, I think you can certainly accomplish the changing of the oil and filters. Those tasks would save you $160 in labor.

To change the water pump impeller on a 70-HP gear case is probably not too difficult because the weight of the gear case should not be prohibitively heavy for one person to manage. On my V6 engine I have been letting the dealer service the water pump because the weight of the gear case is too heavy for me to handle alone. The problem is generally not in getting the gear case to separate from the mid-section, but in getting the gear case back onto the mid-section. You have to get several components aligned: drive shaft; shift shaft; exhaust shrouds. That usually means you need about four hands to hold everything in alignment while you attempt to lift the gearcase upward. You often have to do this while in an awkward lifting position; my back is too old for that sort of work. An assistant is probably going to be very helpful.

frontier

Postby frontier » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:03 pm

[The procedures performed as recommended by the engine manufacturer are ] unnecessary and excessive and [are alleged to be recommended only to create] dealer profit.

Modern quality spark plugs routinely last 100,000 miles in cars today.

Way back in 1972 my 13' Boston Whaler with 402 Merc 40 HP, spark plugs and water pump impeller lasted 15 years.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:44 am

Mercury engines of the past generally recommended annual replacement of the water pump impeller.

Spark plugs in two-stroke carburetor engines from the 1970's generally needed service annually due to spark gap erosion and fouling. There is absolutely no comparison of spark plug service life between the oil-gasoline fuel in a 1970's two-stroke-poewr-cycle outboard engine and a modern ultra-low emission automobile engine.

frontier

Postby frontier » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:51 am

This is from a 1970 Mercury outboard magazine ad :
Under normal operating conditions, your new Perma-Gap spark plugs will last the lifetime of the engine. Hard to believe, but it's true. All new 1970 Mercurys are equipped with Perma-Gap spark plugs. Another Kiekhaefer engineering first and a Mercury exclusive.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:20 pm

See my remarks about gapless spark plus in the thread whose topic is spark plugs:

http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2917#p16655

Most problems in c.1970 outboard engines with spark plugs are due to fouling, not to electrode gap erosion. There is no comparison between spark plug life in modern automobile engines and outboard engines, particularly outboard engines made in the 1970's.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:06 pm

Invest in a Yamaha Service Manual (not owners manual)
https://www.simyamaha.com/F70_YAMAHA_SERVICE_MANUAL_p/lit-18616-03-25.htm

If you use marina gas, maybe fuel filters every year, other wise every two to three years.
Water pump - every three years or longer
Anodes - when there is nothing left
Spark plugs every three to four years.
Thermostat - two years

Order all your parts from SIM Yamaha.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

El Rollo

Postby El Rollo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:45 pm

Phil T wrote:Invest in a Yamaha Service Manual ...

Great Info--thank you. And I will purchase that service manual.