Mahogany piece for Nauset Console

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
lgdpt

Mahogany piece for Nauset Console

Postby lgdpt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:19 pm

I am trying to put together a console. When I bought [the Boston Whaler NAUSET], [the console] was just a pile of wood. I am missing a piece and don't know if I should try to make it.

It will never match and I doubt I have the skill

Or I get lucky and hope someone has a console in pieces already they are not using; would happily pay for it.

Of course [the missing piece is] the thickest piece of wood in the whole console: 1-1/2 x 3 x 17.

Can I even buy wood this thick anywhere?

mahogany 2.JPG
mahogany 2.JPG (67.05 KiB) Viewed 3079 times

Give advice.

OldKenT

Re: Mahogany piece for Nauset Console

Postby OldKenT » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:21 am

The wood you need is not hard to find. If you are in a major metropolitan area, you will certainly have a hardwood supplier nearby so you can look at the wood to select a piece for a good color match. If you do not have hardwood suppliers in your area, you can certainly find one online who will have what you need. Buy extra so you can try different finishes and stains until you achieve the appearance you want.

Even with hand tools, the shape of the piece you show in your photos will not be difficult to match. You will need to rabbet one edge and round over two other edges, and then cut to length.

If you do not want to try that, go to a voke tech school in your area and ask an instructor if a student can do it as a project. I have found that to be a good approach when dealing with metalwork needs, so I expect you will have success with woodwork.
1985 Newport 17
2018 Yamaha F70LA
2017 LoadRite 5S-172200

macfam

Re: Mahogany piece for Nauset Console

Postby macfam » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:02 am

Perhaps these folks can help you.
http://blackduckgallery.com/WOODPARTS_2.html