1989 OUTRAGE 22 Teak Gunwale Caps

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
heatxcape

1989 OUTRAGE 22 Teak Gunwale Caps

Postby heatxcape » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:48 pm

[The author is considering purchase of a 1989 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 22 but does not like its non-teak gunwale caps. However, he expresses concern about the cost of teak replacement caps.]

Where can I pick-up a pair [of teak] gunwale caps for a 1989 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 22?

Who makes 'em?

Steer me to something better than ABS [gunwale caps].

If [I] can get my hands on a set, [I can] have them duplicated. [I] just can't find any to copy.

jimh

Re: 1989 OUTRAGE 22 Teak Gunwale Caps

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:58 am

I don't think you will find any suppliers with teak gunwale caps for an 1989 OUTRAGE 22 sitting on the shelf. You will likely need to have them made to order.

I don't think you will find any teak gunwale caps for a 1989 OUTRAGE 22 available for loan to you so you can duplicate them. But you never know what might be sitting in someone's garage.

If you decide to purchase the 1989 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 22 boat you are considering, you could remove the non-wood gunwale caps and perhaps use them as a pattern to make your own gunwale caps from teak.

Also, can you clarify what you mean by "ABS"? I tried acronym finder for "ABS" but it came up with more than 50 suggestions. The only suggestion that made any sense was that ABS stands for acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene.

Are you certain that Boston Whaler or aftermarket suppliers used acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene to make gunwale caps? The acronym site defined acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene as follows: "any of a class of composite plastics used to make car bodies and cases for computers and other appliances."

The c.1990 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 22 boats that I have seen appear to have molded fiberglass gunwale caps made by Boston Whaler in their laminate shop in their factory. Since Boston Whaler was in the business of laminating all kinds of components for their boats, I doubt they would have begun some sort of ABS plastic molding operation to make components for their 1989 OUTRAGE 22 boat. Also, I cannot image that there exists a sufficient market for replacement gunwale caps for a 1989 OUTRAGE 22 that anyone would enter into the business of molding them with acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene plastics. The market for such a product seems extremely limited, and the costs of creating injection molds for such a plastic product would seem much too high to ever make such an enterprise profitable.

For advice about the cost of having new teak gunwale caps made for a boat that you might decide to purchase, I recommend you contact a supplier and get an estimate of the cost of custom made new gunwale caps. One possible supplier might be

http://blackduckgallery.com/WOODPARTS_2.html

Note that the above vendor is actually operating an art gallery and makes museum-quality custom framing as his principal business. He also makes fine wood parts for Boston Whaler as a sideline. I would not expect that his work comes at the lowest possible costs.

heatxcape

Re: 1989 OUTRAGE 22 Teak Gunwale Caps

Postby heatxcape » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:50 pm

thanks for the information..... for ABS, i meant PVC vinyl trim board crap from Home Depot, ie, not real wood.

Does not look like i will find replacements, so i will try to form some via African Mahogony or teak if i can find a reasonable source.

Can anyone (please) with a 1989 Outrage 22' take some pics and dimensions of the gunwale caps and coming??? curious to see radius and joinery as well. Does anyone live in the MId-Atlantic region where i can come take pics and measurements?? Worth a shot in BW community !!!!