170 MONTAUK T-Top and Canvas without Second Mortgage

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
DiamondDog

170 MONTAUK T-Top and Canvas without Second Mortgage

Postby DiamondDog » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:11 pm

After taking out my 2003 170 Montauk once and then diving Boston Harbor today in mid-December, I clearly need protection from the elements. The sun is obvious, but rain, wind, and spray are going to factor into [boating in] the Spring and Fall.

I looked at the Mills enclosures which total around $4,000. I understand it's quality work but I'm already over my boat budget by $5,000. Also, fishing under a Bimini top can be a nightmare, so I think that's not an option for right now.

I'm seeing foldable T-Tops including T-Topless, Dolphin, and Fishmaster [brands], some of which offer front and side protection. I think only the first one attaches to the console instead of the floor, but their website is barely navigable and no one answers their phone. They appear to be out of stock.

Also several manufacturers have detailed problems fitting their units to the 17-foot 170 boats for one reason or another.

Anyone care to share how they added enclosure to their 170 boats?

I'd appreciate it greatly. I'd like to have major mods done before the boat leaves storage, as I'm not yet comfortable drilling into the hull.

Cheers and thanks!