Steering Wheel for Wire Rope and Pulley Steering

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
PatSea

Steering Wheel for Wire Rope and Pulley Steering

Postby PatSea » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Greetings: I need a replacement steering wheel for my 1972 Sport 13. The one I had broke. Where can I buy a replacement wheel? It is for the old original wire rope and pulley steering system. I don't care if it's plastic or stainless. Thanks.

jimh

Re: Steering Wheel for Wire Rope and Pulley Steering

Postby jimh » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:41 am

Most steering wheels for boat helms made today use a 3/4-inch tapered shaft with keyway. If your old wire rope and pulley helm uses that same method for attachment of the steering wheel, you can find hundreds of steering wheels from dozens of vendors.

PatSea

Postby PatSea » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:24 am

I must have a very unusual steering system design. The shaft is actually a 3/4" tapered brass pipe with a thread on both ends. So being a pipe there is no keyway slot for the steering wheel. They achieved positive engagement by putting a pin through the pipe which protruded about 1/8" and mated up with a keyway cast into a mating die cast zinc piece. The steering wheel hub was molded onto the die cast zinc piece. So, I don't see how a standard steering wheel with a keyway slot will work on my system. I'm planning to replace this system with a Teleflex system this next spring.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:12 pm

One of the participants here is Richard (screen name BINKSTER), and he has experience in wire rope and pulley steering systems. If he does not comment in this thread, I suggest you reach out to him.

PatSea

Postby PatSea » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Thanks jimh

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:25 pm

You probably won't find a new or modern wheel that will fit. I hope you still have the broken wheel that you can use to check against another used steering wheel. Then again its possible a new one will fit. Bring the old wheel with you to check. A marine bone yard would be the best place to find a used one that will fit.
rich

PatSea

Postby PatSea » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Richard, I came to the same conclusion that chances of finding a direct replacement wheel are slim to none. I'm thinking of installing a whole new steering system. What would you recommend? Someone recommended a Teleflex no-feedback system. Interested in your suggestions.

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:54 pm

Read this old thread from CW http://www.continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum ... 02846.html and make up your own mind. I agree totally with Tom Clarks comment. Inspection of your cable and pulley system is very important. This is the only type of steering system that is allowed in APBA outboard racing events, and some of these race boats can easily exceed 100mph.
rich

PatSea

Postby PatSea » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:28 pm

There's a lot of food for thought in that old thread. Thanks Rich. I'm the type that does quite a bit of research on anything before I run out and make a big change like changing the steering system. There are so many guys on here with so much knowledge of these Whalers, even these old ones like my '72. And they're willing to share!