1996 Mercury 125-HP Two-stroke-power-cycle Engine

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
rsalvarez

1996 Mercury 125-HP Two-stroke-power-cycle Engine

Postby rsalvarez » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:58 pm

I have an strange problem with [a 1996 Mercury 125-HP OFFSHORE two-stroke-power-cycle outboard engine]. [The Mercury 125 two-stroke will] start and will run, but looks like the No. 3 and No. 4 [cylinders] are not working in idle, and have no idle adjustment.

Can this [engine] be a 2+2?

I did not take it to the lake, just tested with the garden hose using the regular procedure; did not start on the 3 and 4, have spark, compression.

I was ready to claim warranty to the seller, but he sent me a video of the boat running and a friend test it.

The only explain for this failure is not a failure.

Thanks for any support.

jimh

Re: 1996 Mercury 125-HP Two-stroke-power-cycle Engine

Postby jimh » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:12 am

The 125-HP model is one of those Mercury four-cylinder in-line two-stroke-power-cycle outboard engines that used the 2+2 configuration. There are two cylinders that do not have idle speed fuel jets in their carburetors. Those cylinders do not have combustion at idle speeds due to improper fuel-air mixture.

rsalvarez wrote:did not start on the 3 and 4, have spark, compression

I don't have a clear notion of what you are trying to say. My best guess: you are trying to say that the No. 3 and No. 4 cylinders have spark and compression. That sounds normal.

If you are trying to say that you attempted to start the engine with just No. 3 and No. 4 working, having somehow disabled No. 1 and No. 2, then having the engine not start would be normal, assuming that No. 3. and No. 4 are the cylinders without idle jets in their carburetors. The engine won't start on just No. 3 and No. 4 because they don't get a proper fuel-air mix at idle speeds.

I have no idea if the engine you have is a 2+2 model. I recommend you read the operating guide or owner's manual--it should explain if the engine is a 2+2 model.