E-TEC 75 Project

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
dtmackey

E-TEC 75 Project

Postby dtmackey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:33 pm

Over Thanksgiving I saw a CraigsList ad for an Evinrude E-TEC 75 and reached out to the seller offering full asking price and would pick-up first available. Come to find out, it was a Mercury dealer and he had taken the motor in trade; it'd been sitting in his shop for several years and he didn't want to deal with it since he's not familiar with Evinrudes and does not have the software. The selling price was $395, so I figured I could use it on the 15-foot Whaler project or fix and sell, so I decided the latter of the two after seeing how far down a 320-lbs engine sets the transom into the water.

Motor at the dealer before loading in my vehicle.

Motor was banged up and the cowl and side panels cracked, a cosmetic mess. The throttle position sensor (TPS) was knocked off the mount, so I paid the money and brought it home and put on a stand to inspect. The motor would not turn over, but when putting a wrench on the flywheel it turned freely, so I replaced the com end of the starter since I found a disconnected internal wire preventing it from cranking over.

The motor turned over easily with the new starter part and registered 135-PSI of [peak cylinder pressure]--which are great numbers. The TPS was installed with new hardware and the covers repaired with West G-Flex, which is amazing stuff for plastic and hard-to-bond materials.

New decals were ordered and a quart of acrylic enamal will be sprayed once all the sanding and priming is complete.

New filter and plugs are installed and once painted I plan to fire it up and run the E-TEC diagnostic software. I'm sure everything is fine and it's a fun little project. Total investment so far is $217 plus the cost of the motor.

D-

jimh

Re: E-TEC 75 Project

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:39 pm

You are an adventure seeker!

Shickalee

Postby Shickalee » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:17 am

Nice pick-up at that price, it was well worth it just for the core. Sounds like you might have a servicable E-TEC. What year is the E-TEC? Since this is a smart motor I would definitely recommend that you have your local E-TEC authorized shop pull the history and scan for any codes.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:15 pm

Shickalee wrote:Nice pick-up at that price, it was well worth it just for the core. Sounds like you might have a servicable etec. What year is the ETEC? Since this is a smart motor I would definitely recommend that you have your local ETEC authorized shop pull the history and scan for any codes.

I would, except they will charge me $$ and I already have a single purpose dedicated laptop with the Evinrude diagnostic dealer software for one of my others boats running an E-TEC 250. Once I get the cowls painted and pretty, I'll assemble and put on the computer and pull codes and printable history.

D-

Shickalee

Postby Shickalee » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:44 pm

Once I get the cowls painted and pretty, I'll assemble and put on the computer and pull codes and printable history.

Sounds like a good plan.