Dauntless 15 Fuel Tank Upgrade

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
RobertO

Dauntless 15 Fuel Tank Upgrade

Postby RobertO » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:46 pm

Recently, [on a DAUNTLESS 15] I upgraded to a Moeller 22-gallon, topside, white, non-EPA fuel tank with continuous venting [KELCH-brand] cap; the prior tank was a 12-gallon Moeller.

I chose the 22-gallon tank instead of the 18-gallon tank to prevent having to modify the seat base in order to clear the filler cap and fitting on the 18-gallon tank. Plus, no more do I have to unsnap the seat cushion for refueling. I am looking forward to a longer cruise distance between refueling.

As evident [in the photo below], the tank is presently secured with a nylon strap using a pair of stainless D-rings. I don't care to drill holes if not necessary.

I hope this post helps anyone interested.

photo 2 (1).JPG
photo 2 (1).JPG (88.27 KiB) Viewed 5627 times
1995 Dauntless 15
1995 Evinrude 70hp

jimh

Re: Dauntless 15 Fuel Tank Upgrade

Postby jimh » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:28 pm

I don't see the D-rings in your image. It looks like the strap just goes around the circumference of the seat base. Does the strap just attach to itself?

RobertO

Postby RobertO » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:33 pm

D-rings are stitched onto one end of the strap aft. They are residing just over the near tank recess in the pic.

Here's a different angle
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (97.82 KiB) Viewed 5606 times
1995 Dauntless 15
1995 Evinrude 70hp

thediscusthrower

Postby thediscusthrower » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:17 pm

[Thread revived after being dormant for nine months]

[What is the] model [octothorpe symbol] of tank and price?

Bob

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:54 pm

BOB--I believe that early in the discussion in the initial post made about about nine months ago, the tank model information is given:

RobertO wrote:...a Moeller 22-gallon, topside, white, non-EPA fuel tank with continuous venting [KELCH-brand] cap

Because the fuel tank that is the topic of discussion in this thread is described as being "non-EPA" compliant, the fuel tank may no longer be available for sale in the United States of America for use on boats built after 2011 because of new regulations .

Based on the organization of the MOELLER websites and its listing of fuel tanks under a heading of "Boat built before 2011", there is a MOELLER fuel tank listed there. See

Boats Built Before 2011
http://moellermarine.com/product-catego ... uel-tanks/

and also

22 Gallon Topside Fuel Tank

http://moellermarine.com/moeller-marine ... fuel-tank/

I think it is a reasonable inference that the fuel tank on the MOELLER website (linked above) may be the fuel tank that the OP was describing nine months ago.

The price of a MOELLER 22-gallon on-deck fuel tank non-EPA compliant for boats made prior to 2011 will depend on the vendor from whom you purchase the tank. I think you are more interested in that information than to know exactly how much the OP paid for the tank.

There is much prior discussion about these MOELLER on-deck fuel tanks molded in white. You can find many articles about them using this link to search results:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=site%3Acontinuouswave.com&q=moeller+22-gallon+on-deck+fuel+tank+white&btnG=Google+Search

The first result in those search results is to this article in the archives:

New Moeller 24-gallon On-Deck Fuel Tank
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/018886.html

In that discussion a retail price of $200 is mentioned. The discussion dates from 2009, so the price information may no longer be appropriate, as prices have changed in the last nine years for items like this.

In regard to the price of the 22-gallon MOELLER on-deck fuel tank, I don't know if you are asking for this information because your decision to get the tank is extremely price-sensitive. As far as I know, this MOELLER on-deck fuel tank molded in white is perhaps the ONLY on-deck fuel tank molded in white that is particularly useful on certain Boston Whaler boats, and, as such, I would think that the price is not going to be a constraint for owners of Boston Whaler boats who want a white on-deck fuel tank that fits nicely with their Boston Whaler seating. There are not a lot--perhaps no--other options.

thediscusthrower

Postby thediscusthrower » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:58 pm

When bought my 1995 15 Dauntless, the first thing I did was purchase a brand new, Model F-159 15-gallon Tempo tank from Sue in [Wisconsin].

[The new TEMPO Model F-159 on-deck fuel tank] developed a pinhole leak in the upper, left-hand corner, [perhaps due to] a lack of plastic resin when it was molded.

[The TEMPO model F-159 is] the factory specified tank. The filling port is hidden under the seat, unlike the Moeller tank. I judge the Moeller tank to be not too bad. However my boat has the optional stern fishing deck, so I have to account for that deck [in some unspecified manner].

I tried to repair [the new TEMPO Model F-159 on-deck fuel tank] using JB Weld Water. The repair lasted about one a season, and then fell off. I may repeat the repair.

Getting a Moeller fuel tank or a bespoke fabricated aluminum fuel tank are other options.

Has anyone experience sealing off the red, polypropylene tanks from Tempo? Anybody do it professionally?

Bob