2010 Montauk 170 Moeller 22-gallon On-deck Fuel Tank Installation

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
PeteD

2010 Montauk 170 Moeller 22-gallon On-deck Fuel Tank Installation

Postby PeteD » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:33 pm

I have seen other posts [about installation of a MOELLER 22-gallon on-deck fuel tank on a 170 MONTAUK], but I have not seen specific examples detailing some key steps in completing this job.

I bought the Moeller 22 thinking it was a direct replacement. I then found out it fits as long as one plans to move the through-the-deck fuel line feed, as the tank sits right atop fuel line. The other option without modification is to have the tank itself stick far out from under the seat console, which does not work for my Montauk as I have the live well and can not afford to lose any more room aft of the center console as the livewell makes it narrow already.

How does one reroute the location of the fuel line? The deck fitting?

I would like to use straps instead of permanent permanent tie downs as the permermanet tie down sticks out too far from the side of the tank--these would be a real barefoot hazard for my kids. Also, adding the tie downs on the deck where it lacks structural fittings makes no sense. Any pictures of a tight install with tie down placement would be appreciated.

Does the Moeller 18 fit better without glass work? I can see why no one buys the 18 as it has 4-gallon-less (20% less) capacity than the 22.

I would consider paying a professional to do this if anyone can refer someone in Massachusetts or in southern New Hampshire, but I can do it myself with some direction.

Moeller should have accounted for the fuel line and simply designed the tank with a channel for it. This job is more like a retro-fit and not a direct replacement.

Thanks

RobertO

Re: 2010 Montauk 170 Moeller 22 Install help

Postby RobertO » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Sorry to hear your dilemma. Fortunately, in my case, the factory fuel line install under the seat exits the deck at the extreme starboard front corner under the seat base. Sounds like yours is not as such. Sorry I can't offer any quick solution to your situation. If there is any vertical clearance room on your install, one option would be to situate the tank on a platform raised enough to clear the fuel line enough to not kink. Possibly post a picture of the area where you plan installing the tank.
1995 Dauntless 15
1995 Evinrude 70hp

Ridge Runner

Re: 2010 Montauk 170 Moeller 22 Installation

Postby Ridge Runner » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:07 am

The installation on my 170 Montauk is also as RobertO described. The fuel line is installed under the seat and exits the deck at the starboard front corner under the RPS. Please do post a picture of your layout.
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:53 pm

I had a similar problem on my 1987 Montauk replacing my twin 6-gallon steel tanks with a new Moeller tank that was supposed to be a direct fit. A channel built into the tank to allow the fuel line would have been nice but was not molded in.

I got around that deficit in design by adding two 5/8-inch rubber mats that I cut to fit inside the lip of the original rubber mats that the old steel tanks used to sit on. This extra height gave me enough room to run the hose under the tank, and I did not need to relocate the fuel line.

I sandwiched my two hold down straps between the original floor mat and the new upper mat and squeezed some very rigid foam between the top of the tank and the bottom of the RPS to hold the tank snug. I am sure some people would say "bolt it down." but it has not moved one bit even with hitting some big waves.

AnthonyPizzo

Re: 2010 Montauk 170 Moeller 22 Installion

Postby AnthonyPizzo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:04 pm

I aad similar problem when i went to install the 22-gallon tank on my 2003 170 MONTAUK. I, also, did not want to drill a new hole for the fuel line. I used a brass 90-degree fitting and split the line right where it comes out the deck. This allowed me to direct the fuel line backwards and around the tank without pinching the line. I then installed a few DryDeck squares under the seat to act as a riser for the tank to sit on. I trimmed the Dry-deck squares so that i could still use the factory fuel tank tie-downs and slipped some webbing through those hoops and around the tank. I can now easily remove the tank when i want for cleaning, and there was no need to cut any holes in deck or mount any new clips or tie-downs for the new tank. I am able to have it pushed all the way inside the seat, leaving as much room as possible at the rear deck. I can post pictures latter but for $5 on Amazon i think that was my best bet compared to the cost of drilling new holes.

Willdoggy

Postby Willdoggy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:32 pm

If you would like some great detailed photos of my install on my MT170 send me your email and an address to SandiegoWilliam at gmail dot com
This site does not allow full size photos and I’m too lazy to change them all to smaller size.
Will

Riverdance

Postby Riverdance » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:16 pm

Willdoggy you have a message