1989 Revenge 22 W-T Windlass Fixed to Hatch

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Jean-Do

1989 Revenge 22 W-T Windlass Fixed to Hatch

Postby Jean-Do » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi--five years ago on the old forum I asked how to install a windlass on my Revenge 22 W-T. Since that time, I found a picture (below) of a Whaler 27 Cuddy with a vertical windlass fixed onto the anchor locker hatch.

3A495CF7-7999-45A0-B9E2-D1C54AAE810F.jpeg
Windlass on classic Boston Whalers
3A495CF7-7999-45A0-B9E2-D1C54AAE810F.jpeg (84.47 KiB) Viewed 2463 times

I’d like to do something similar on my Revenge 22 W-T.

How do you think the anchor locker hatch should be fixed [in place] to support the traction of the windlass?

[This thread was posted to the INTRODUCTION forum and has been moved to a boating forum, REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS, for discussion--jimh]

Jefecinco

Re: 1989 Revenge 22 W-T Windlass Fixed to Hatch

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:31 am

From the photograph I can't tell where the anchor locker hatch begins and ends. If forward space permits another location would be preferable. I assume your boat also has a bow pulpit? The pictured windlass appears to be horizontal. A vertical windlass may need less mounting space. Before proceeding I would consider a different windlass.

Securing the locker hatch semi-permanently is the least desirable solution. If the hatch must ultimately be the mounting location one or more stout latches may be better. If the hatch opens from the front latches are less of a concern than the hinges in the rear. The hinges may need to be remounted with some very solid backing material, perhaps some stainless steel plate. If the fiberglass is thin some glass reinforcement may be needed.

If you don't find an answer here Boston Whaler may be able to provide their solution.
Butch

Jean-Do

Re: 1989 Revenge 22 W-T Windlass Fixed to Hatch

Postby Jean-Do » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi Jefecinco,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, my boat has a bow pulpit. I’m considering a vertical windlass which will take less space than the one on the picture, there is enough space in the anchor pit for a vertical one. Actually, I’m thinking securing the fixing of the original hatch by a stainless steel frame fixed from the 3 vertical walls surrounding the hatch. Stainless steel frame would be hidden in the pit and fixed from backing plates fixed behind each vertical walls with carriage bolts. Only large carriage bolts heads would be visible from outside on the vertical walls.
Anyway, as you suggested I’ll try to ask Boston Whaler if they have a solution.